Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com> on 2013/01/30 17:20:00 UTC

JMS in a Tomcat Environment

Knowing that Tomcat is not a full JavaEE application server, I understand that it doesn't support all JavaEE specifications, and that JMS is one of the specifications that Tomcat does not implement. However, I'm wondering if any Tomcat users out there have any experience with any JMS solutions that can be easily integrated into a Tomcat cluster?

Thanks,

Nick

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient: (1) you may not disclose, use, distribute, copy or rely upon this message or attachment(s); and (2) please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then delete this message and its attachment(s). Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and its affiliates disclaim all liability for any errors, omissions, corruption or virus in this message or any attachments.

Re: JMS in a Tomcat Environment

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: JMS in a Tomcat Environment

Posted by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com>.
Chris, this makes sense, and is kind of already what I was thinking. I just figured, after soliciting suggestions for JMS providers, that while we were on the topic of JMS I would ask.

Nick

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: JMS in a Tomcat Environment

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 1/30/2013 3:27 PM, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> [...]

Hear, hear.

-Terence Bandoian

RE: JMS in a Tomcat Environment

Posted by Jeff Sturm <je...@eprize.com>.

Posted by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com>.

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: JMS in a Tomcat Environment

Posted by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com>.
I do not have a preferred implementation, no. I understand the basics of JMS and how it works, but I have never actually used it before. I do usually work with Spring Framework, but my understanding is that it's relatively agnostic as to the underlying implementation of JMS.

ActiveMQ looks interesting. One concern I have is that some of the documentation seems rather dated: referring to JavaEE 1.4, for example, when 1.6 came out two years ago and 1.7 is on the brink of approval. And then there's the context resource definition on the Tomcat page and references to the shared lib directory, and immediately below that an 'updated' resource definition for "Tomcat 5.5 or later" that's "completely untested but should work." Seeing as how 6.0 and 7.0 are both mature and 8.0 is around the corner somewhere, this seems awfully dated. How well-maintained and up-to-date is ActiveMQ? Can we expect work on the impending JMS 2.0 specification to begin any time in the future?

Thanks,

Nick

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.