Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2001/08/18 10:13:09 UTC

Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Jesktop was working fine with copies of the above from 40 days ago.

Since updating the two tar.gzips that Jesktop unpacks as part of it's build process, all still
compile fine and phoenix/bin/run.bat executes .... but it hangs :-(

In phoenix's log of interest :

  1) "Unable to locate resource
     'org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.Resources'
     with key 'app.error.phase.run' "

  2) "Unable to locate configuration for Block {0} in application {1}"

See attachment.

Does anyone know if something has changed in the last 40 days that would yield such a
backwards-incompatibility?

I suspect it's something in assembly.xml - but it looks fine as do the .xinfo's.

Regards,

- Paul

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>>(then wait a while cos I have a forked version of batic in there)
>>

>you mean go away for 10 minutes come back ... go hrrm ... and then decide you
>needed to get another coffe anyway ? ;)

Hey dude, it's all the way round the world for you ;-)  Beside it's
still quicker than compiling the whole lot on a Cobalt RaQ4 :-(

p4 sync again when you've finished (seconds this time) as I've been
updating more in the last few minutes.

BTW - Will be making my pitch to the PMC today/tomorrow.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
> p4 sync

Err one more thing before p4 sync.

do p4 client (puts you in vi , pico etc) - edit the root to be somewhere
logical like /home/peter/jesktop-root

-PH

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Error message "Block {0} implements Configurable, but has no
configuration in config.xml" implemented as per Peters suggestion.

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Ooops Peter was right it was to do with configuration....

<configuration> sections used to be in assembly.xml, but long ago moved
to config.xml  One my my blocks had missed that change.

All fixed now.  Thanks for the help

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>>The WindowManager was configurable but with not configuration.  So I
>>removed the interface and there was no improvement :-(
>>

>If you in logs, the jesktop-windowmanager is still the block that is causing
>an error. It is still implementing Configurable (maybe indirectly?) or else
>getConfiguration() would never be called on repository. See
>StaupPhase.java:161.

Nahh checked again I removed it. Maybe build did not pick up on that
change - I'll do build real-cleans etc.

>So I would check to make sure it is not indirectly implementing Configurable.
>What would be kool is if you modified StartupPhase so that if
>getConfiguration() generated an error, a more useful warning is given.
>SOmething like "Block Foo implements Configurable but there is no
>coresponding configuration data for it. Check config source.". Sound good? ;)

Will do if that's the culprit. ;-)  How else could I test it ;-)

>>Peter, I could be awefully cheeky and ask you to take a look?  You have
>>ADSL? Still remember your password for oss.perforce.co.uk ?
>>If yes, I'll have to book in my changes first ;-)
>>

>I don't have windows anymore so assuming perforce has a linux client and the
>above didn't help I will give it a shot. ug... that means I will have to try
>to figure out how to modify my client-spec again !

Linux is fine.  Get "P4" (linux executable) from
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/loadprog.html

export P4PORT=oss.perforce.co.uk:1666
export P4USER=guest
export P4CLIENT=something-unique-or-original
p4 sync

(then wait a while cos I have a forked version of batic in there)

Alternatively do the following for a quicker start.  You can always sync
on the full lot later.

p4 sync //depot/projects/AvalonCommon/...
p4 sync //depot/projects/Jesktop/Jesktop/...
p4 sync //depot/projects/Jesktop/Apps/...
p4 sync //depot/projects/Jesktop/build.sh
p4 sync //depot/projects/Jesktop/build.xml

In AvalonCommon do "build"
The same in Jesktop

Thein in Jesktop/Jesktop/phoenix/bin/run - but you knew that ;-)

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter Donald wrote:

>Nothing jumps out at me. Does the block that it breaks on implement
>Configurable but not have configuration in config.xml ???

Looked good...

The WindowManager was configurable but with not configuration.  So I
removed the interface and there was no improvement :-(

Peter, I could be awefully cheeky and ask you to take a look?  You have
ADSL? Still remember your password for oss.perforce.co.uk ?
If yes, I'll have to book in my changes first ;-)

- PH

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:19, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >Does
> >C:\perforce\projects\Jesktop\Jesktop\phoenix\apps\jesktop\conf\config.xml
> >exist? And if so does it look a-ok (ie is it valid XML).
>
> Looks OK...
>
> >I can't explain why the {0} and {1} are not expanded in messages thought
> > .. hmmm. Ideas?
>
> Fixed already - '{0}' changed to {0} etc.

Doh - never knew that. I think a whole bunch of those resource files will
need to be updated...

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>Does
>C:\perforce\projects\Jesktop\Jesktop\phoenix\apps\jesktop\conf\config.xml
>exist? And if so does it look a-ok (ie is it valid XML).

Looks OK...

>I can't explain why the {0} and {1} are not expanded in messages thought ..
>hmmm. Ideas?

Fixed already - '{0}' changed to {0} etc.

Still poking around ...

-PH

Re: Jesktop not starting with latest (from CVS) Phoenix & Cornerstone

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.