Posted to builds@apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> on 2014/01/17 18:02:51 UTC

Loopback interface on Freebsd doesn't have IP address

I've finally got the qpid build on Freebsd nearly working (thanks to
Gavin for installing the packages I needed)

I'm finding that a bunch of our tests fail because they can't connect to
another process started on the same machine using either localhost or
127.0.0.1 as the connect address. Investigating a bit it looks like no
loopback IP address is set on the loopback interface for some reason:

+ ifconfig -a
bce1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=c01bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
	ether 00:1d:09:68:83:68
	inet 140.211.11.120 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 140.211.11.120
	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
	status: active
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>

[ In other lo0 has no IPv4 or IPv6 address assigned, whereas bce1 has ]

I'm not sure if this is deliberate; a side effect of something else; or
even if it is the cause of my problem!

Looking on my own Freebsd VM the lo0 interface does have IP addresses
and the tests do work (or at least they don't have exactly this failure)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew