Posted to commits@pig.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/12/07 23:26:20 UTC

[Pig Wiki] Update of "Howl/HowlAuthorizationProposal" by AshutoshChauhan

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Pig Wiki" for change notification.

The "Howl/HowlAuthorizationProposal" page has been changed by AshutoshChauhan.
http://wiki.apache.org/pig/Howl/HowlAuthorizationProposal?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

   1. In the POSIX permissions model the narrowist applicable category is used in testing whether a specific user has access to a file.  Thus if the owner of a file does not have permission to read the file, but he is in a group that does, he still will not be able to read the file.  To avoid strange side affects of this I propose that it be an error if the owner has less permission than the group.  So `rwxr-x---` would be accepted, but `r-xrwx---` would return an error.
   1. Execute bits give a user permission to open a directory, which is required to open files for either reading or writing.  Thus for all users classes it should be an error for the read or write bit to be set but not the execute bit.  Thus `r-x`, `-wx`, `rwx` would all be valid combinations, but `r--`, `-w-`, and `rw-` would be generate errors.
   1. Do we ever want to allow a user to set a table as world writable?
+
+ === Implementation Notes ===
+ http://wiki.apache.org/pig/Howl/AuthorizationImplNotes