Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2004/07/20 23:46:07 UTC

Manual

	I think I'm climbing out from under my rock, at least a little
bit, and I'd like to start work on a manual.  If I can produce a HTML
version, what's the best way to get it included on the geronimo.apache.org
web site?  I'm thinking we should add a Documentation link to the left
navigation bar (probably under the "Geronimo" header) and then on that
page include a link to the HTML manual as well as to the Maven FAQ and
perhaps a couple Wiki links to flesh it out.

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: Manual

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
	I guess I agree to a limited extent.  I think the wiki is great
for *developing* documentation -- FAQ's and guidance for specific topics
and so on -- but I'd like to put together a more polished document as the
main manual -- perhaps the standard routine where we make it available
electronically on the site and get it published in hardcopy as well.  To
that end, I guess I'm envisioning a little more structure and control than
the Wiki provides.  But there's certainly room for both -- it promises to
be a long effort, and a mix of FAQ's and HOWTOs and a structured manual
and a plentiful supply of regular books would be great.

Aaron

P.S. Haven't we switched Wiki's once already?  :)

Re: Installing Confluence [was Re: Manual]

Posted by Matt Kurjanowicz <ma...@gmail.com>.
I'll volunteer my time (of course) to anything I can, I'm not a
committer, so I can't do anything server side, but anything that I can
do without committer privileges I'd love to help to do.
Thanks,
Matt Kurjanowicz

--
Matthew Kurjanowicz
matt.kurjanowicz@gmail.com

The Projassist Project
* Making Bug-Tracking Easy *

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: Installing Confluence

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
This one time, at band camp, Dain Sundstrom said:

DS>So last night as part of the release schedule I needed to update our
DS>wiki, and it took me a half hour just to figure out how to login
DS>MoinMoin...

I like MoinMoin much better than UseMod, but some of its usability
still isn't that great. Confluence is much more polished.

DS>Can anyone give us an up or down answer on if we can get confluence
DS>installed at Apache?  If it we can't, I propose we find confluence
DS>space for Geronimo somewhere offsite.

I would say just go to Codehaus. But, IIRC, didn't we get our hands
slapped for using an external website previously (maybe that was
in Incubator thing)? At the same time, the Maven project already
does this, and with Codehaus to boot.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: Installing Confluence

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.

Re: Installing Confluence

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Installing Confluence

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.

Posted by ja...@mac.com.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Matt Kurjanowicz wrote:
> Ok, you've all convinced me of my error :).  Well in that case I'd be
> more than happy to help move stuff over to Confluence.  I didn't
> realize that confluence had so many security features beyond the wiki
> we use now.

What I am most excited about with Confluence is that you can export the
content into HTML or PDF format (probably others).  IMHO one of the best
things about the Hibernate project is that they use their wiki to
generate documentation (cowiki), and then they export and include all
that into their releases.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: Installing Confluence [was Re: Manual]

Posted by Matt Kurjanowicz <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Dunno, was asking hoping someone with confluence knowledge would pipe in.

-David

On 22 Jul 2004, at 02:28, Matthew Kurjanowicz wrote:

> Point taken :) However, isn't Confluence the same as all wikis where
> anyone can edit the pages?  One can require that people create
> accounts to edit the wiki, but doesn't it need to be unlocked now
> anyways?

There are various options - its easy to change the permissions.

Many Confluence wiki's I create tend to have permissions for anyone
who's registered with confluence to edit pages (to encourage
involvement) & anyone to view.

Though often folks only allow 'committers' (in the wiki not CVS sense)
permissions to edit pages but allow anyone who's registered to comment
on pages. Maybe the latter - along with a low barrier of entry (let
people have write access when they ask for it, then reject it when they
mess up) is a middle ground.

James
-------

Posted by Matthew Kurjanowicz <mk...@cc.gatech.edu>.

On 22 Jul 2004, at 02:19, David Blevins wrote:

> Will Confluence spare us the embarrassment of having our wiki data
> replaced with offensive ASCII "art" when we are mentioned on
> slashdot?

Yes! Restrict posts to folks who've logged in & registered with a valid
email address, rather than just any old spammer. Or force a moderator
to let you on if you're really keen

> If so, that's more than enough reason to switch IMO.

Agreed!

Plus its easy to subscribe to RSS feeds of pages changed, comments
added and so forth.

James
-------

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Matt Kurjanowicz <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: Manual

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.

Re: Manual

Posted by Matthew Kurjanowicz <mk...@cc.gatech.edu>.
Bruce, If I can help with the book (editing, etc.) at all let me know -
I'd love to help any way I can.
Aaron: why not make it a subdir under xdocs.  Unfortunately this can be
way too static, but on the other hand it will look like the rest of the
website.  Each page can be a simple XML document like index.xml.  That
way all the links (to the Wiki, all the other available documentation)
will be available.  PDFs can be generated using the Maven PDF plugin,
including any other site documentation that is useful, such as changes,
wiki, issues, etc.  I'm pretrty sure there's a plugin somewhere to turn
Wikis into XML docs for just this purpose.
Just my $0.02.
-Matt Kurjanowicz

Re: Manual

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.

Re: Manual

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Aaron Mulder dijo:
> 	I think I'm climbing out from under my rock, at least a little
> bit, and I'd like to start work on a manual.  If I can produce a HTML
> version, what's the best way to get it included on the geronimo.apache.org
> web site?  I'm thinking we should add a Documentation link to the left
> navigation bar (probably under the "Geronimo" header) and then on that
> page include a link to the HTML manual as well as to the Maven FAQ and
> perhaps a couple Wiki links to flesh it out.

Hmm. Perhaps using apache forrest:

http://forrest.apache.org/

That way the manual will be in XML and easily rendered to what ever: HTML,
PDF, etc.

WDYT?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo