Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com> on 2003/07/18 18:15:59 UTC

[Friday] General question on OO database design

Is there a standard spec on OO database modeling?  Is there a project that
facilitates OO database access layer in Commons?  It would be so good if we can
do something like getPerson(id) to a database directly instead of structured SQL
queries.

Thanks!

Re: [Friday] General question on OO database design

Posted by Janek Bogucki <ya...@studylink.com>.
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 16:15, Yansheng Lin wrote:

> Is there a standard spec on OO database modeling?  Is there a project that
> facilitates OO database access layer in Commons?  It would be so good if we can
> do something like getPerson(id) to a database directly instead of structured SQL
> queries.
>
> Thanks!

AFAIK there is no standard specification for mapping objects and object
graphs to relational database tables. However there are many
Object-to-relational mapping frameworks which will do it for you.

ObJectRelationalBridge (OJB) is one, http://db.apache.org/ojb/.

-Janek