Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Adam Gibson <ae...@mtu.edu> on 2011/09/28 04:30:19 UTC

Server disconnects

Hello all,

I have been experimenting with James 3.0-beta-3 as well as beta-4. I am currently using james beta 2 running in tomcat in production. I have been trying the binary releases as well as compiling from source and have still been having the same problem. I have looked at the proper log files relative to what I have turned on as far as incoming mail.

My setup on the server is:
Centos 5.5
james-beta-2 (production)

james-beta3,4 for testing

SELinux is turned off, and IPTables is not blocking the ports. I have did a netstat -anp to ensure that the ports are listening.

My mail client environment is:
Centos 6 64 bit
Stock thunderbird (version  3.1.3-1.el6.centos )

My mail store configuration is a mysql database
Server version: 5.1.52 Source distribution

Other versions of the server I have tried include the out of the box binary for beta 3.

My tried configurations include:

imap  no ssl 143
imap  ssl      993

Basically, I attempt to connect to the server(locally and on a remote one) and thunderbird gives me a message akin to:
Server has gone offline. The server may have gone offline or there may be a network problem.

When I attempt to retrieve mail, I see a connection on the server akin to:
INFO  22:00:15,975 | james.imapserver | ID=716157286 Connection established from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
INFO  22:00:36,069 | james.imapserver | ID=716157286 Connection closed for localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
~

The same goes in a series with no other logs other than the start up indicators(mailet init,smtp service started,..)

I do not have this problem with beta 2.

I have also tried pop3 on both of the standard ports with ssl and no ssl. With that one, the mail client will attempt to download the messages. It has the right message count, starts to download, and then just abruptly stops. I have ~1400 messages in this inbox and the mail client will think there's nothing left and then just hang on the connection. Again, the log files are similar:

INFO  22:10:07,182 | james.pop3server | ID=57907263 Connection established from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
INFO  22:10:11,143 | james.pop3server | ID=57907263 Connection closed for localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)

in a series of similar connection attempts with no exceptions.

I have also had similar connection issues in zimbra (with that same set up) as well.

Any next steps I could take would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Adam