Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/25 02:37:10 UTC

Embedding maven/toolability

Hi,

I'm starting to work on embedding m2 in idea (now that I'm finally back home..).

First thing I'm trying to attack is an editor for the maven settings
files. I'm trying to use the MavenSettingsBuilder (and the default
implementation DefaultMavenSettingsBuilder).

It seems to me that its API is a little lacking - tooling-wise - as it
provides no way of seperating the user's settings from the
installation settings. There are only two methods (buildSettings,
buildSettings(File)) and both merge the user's settings with the
global settings.

Perhaps you had a different view of how to integrate Maven into IDEs?
I heard about the embedder, but I could not find it in the central
repo, so I assumed it is too alpha...or is that the preffered way?
(rather than accessing the components directly)

10x,
   Arik.

Re: Embedding maven/toolability

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 02:37 +0200, Arik Kfir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to work on embedding m2 in idea (now that I'm finally back home..).
>
> First thing I'm trying to attack is an editor for the maven settings
> files. I'm trying to use the MavenSettingsBuilder (and the default
> implementation DefaultMavenSettingsBuilder).
>
> It seems to me that its API is a little lacking - tooling-wise - as it
> provides no way of seperating the user's settings from the
> installation settings. There are only two methods (buildSettings,
> buildSettings(File)) and both merge the user's settings with the
> global settings.

The embedder was whipped together for an m2 plug-in for Eclipse and it
still needs quite a bit of work.

The embedder should allow a mode that completely syncs with an existing
installation or work completely independently. As I ran out of time I
just took the easiest route in a lot of cases.

> Perhaps you had a different view of how to integrate Maven into IDEs?

There is a component for the embedder and Eugene/Dmitri (authors of the
m2 plugin for eclipse) have found many issues already so keep adding
them in and I'll take care of them.

> I heard about the embedder, but I could not find it in the central
> repo, so I assumed it is too alpha...or is that the preffered way?
> (rather than accessing the components directly)

I haven't release it yet but looks like I'm going to have to as Milos
(netbeans mevenide fellow) is looking for it too. I'm doing a couple
releases now so I'll try to release that one quickly too.

> 10x,
>    Arik.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)