Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Oleg Cohen <ol...@assurebridge.com> on 2018/11/19 20:12:03 UTC

Startup timing Windows vs. Mac

Greetings,

I have two systems: one Mac and one Windows. I have noticed that exactly the same application with a number of bundles, both 3rd party and my own, take significantly longer (1.5 vs 6 mins) on Windows compared to Mac. Both systems are pretty powerful and have similar resources. I was wondering if anybody has noticed the same. What would be the best way to analyze the startup performance and identify bottlenecks?

Thank you,
Oleg

Re: Startup timing Windows vs. Mac

Posted by Tadayoshi Sato <sa...@gmail.com>.
I suspect you're hitting this known Mac issue:
https://thoeni.io/post/macos-sierra-java/

Posted by "Leschke, Scott" <SL...@medline.com>.
I can't speak to Karaf explicitly but there have been huge issues with both antivirus and disk encryption overhead in the Windows environment here.  Encryption can really slow things down. All our laptops and desktops are encrypted on the fly.

While most have SSDs now, I have an old desktop that I no longer use with a hard drive that became effectively unusable.

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Leschke, Scott" <SL...@medline.com>.
[...]

From Active state I run command *update sample.bundle.a*

jbonofre@apache.org<ma...@apache.org> <ma...@apache.org>
http://blog.nanthrax.net<http://blog.nanthrax.net/>
Talend - http://www.talend.com<http://www.talend.com/>

Posted by Oleg Cohen <ol...@assurebridge.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Oleg,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Startup timing Windows vs. Mac

Posted by Oleg Cohen <ol...@assurebridge.com>.
I’d like to add that this bundle has many classes and a large number of services.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Silly question, but are we talking about comparable hardware (or identical)
between the two?

Posted by Oleg Cohen <ol...@assurebridge.com>.
Hi JB,

I don’t think the antivirus is an issue in my case.

I did disable Windows Defender. My test case is with a single bundle that is installed via this command:

install reference:file://$eclipse_projects/sample.bundle.a <file:///$eclipse_projects/sample.bundle.a>

The location $eclipse_projects points to the local file system where Eclipse projects for bundles reside.

From Active state I run command update sample.bundle.a

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré