Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Avinash Sridhar <sm...@rediffmail.com> on 2004/02/02 00:02:01 UTC

Compiling a Servlet file

hi all,
    I am having trouble in compiling the HelloServlet.java file,When I type in javac HelloServlet.java file,I get the following errors

/**************Errors while compiling**********************/

HelloServlet.java:2: package javax.servlet does not exist
import javax.servlet.*;
^
HelloServlet.java:3: package javax.servlet.http does not exi
import javax.servlet.http.*;
^
HelloServlet.java:13: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServlet
location: class HelloServlet
public class HelloServlet extends HttpServlet {
                                  ^
HelloServlet.java:14: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletRequest
location: class HelloServlet
                    ^
HelloServlet.java:15: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletResponse
location: class HelloServlet
                    HttpServletResponse response)
                    ^
HelloServlet.java:16: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ServletException
location: class HelloServlet
      throws ServletException, IOException {
             ^
6 errors

/**************Errors while compiling**********************/

I have written a batch file tomcat.bat like this

/********** tomcat.bat *************/

set classpath=;E/tomcat/tomcat-5/common/lib/servlet-api.jar
set classpath=;E/tomcat/tomcat-5/common/lib/jsp-api.jar

/********** tomcat.bat *************/

The tomcat.bat file is in the same folder as the source file HelloServlet.java.

Kindly let me know.

Help would be appreciated

Thanks
AS

RE: Compiling a Servlet file

Posted by Marcel Stör <ma...@frightanic.com>.
Avinash Sridhar <ma...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>     I am having trouble in compiling the HelloServlet.java file,When
> I type in javac HelloServlet.java file,I get the following errors
>
> /**************Errors while compiling**********************/
>
> HelloServlet.java:2: package javax.servlet does not exist
> import javax.servlet.*;
> ^
> HelloServlet.java:3: package javax.servlet.http does not exi
> import javax.servlet.http.*;
> ^
> HelloServlet.java:13: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : class HttpServlet
> location: class HelloServlet
> public class HelloServlet extends HttpServlet {
>                                   ^
> HelloServlet.java:14: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : class HttpServletRequest
> location: class HelloServlet
>   public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
>                     ^
> HelloServlet.java:15: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : class HttpServletResponse
> location: class HelloServlet
>                     HttpServletResponse response)
>                     ^
> HelloServlet.java:16: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : class ServletException
> location: class HelloServlet
>       throws ServletException, IOException {
>              ^
> 6 errors
>
> /**************Errors while compiling**********************/
>

> I have written a batch file tomcat..bat like this
>
> /********** tomcat.bat *************/
>
> set classpath=;E/tomcat/tomcat-5/common/lib/servlet-api.jar
> set classpath=;E/tomcat/tomcat-5/common/lib/jsp-api.jar
>
> /********** tomcat.bat *************/

You need both JARs in the classpath. Try:
set
CLASSPATH=E:\tomcat\tomcat-5\common\lib\servlet-api.jar;E:\tomcat\tomcat
-5\common\lib\jsp-api.jar
javac -classpath .;%CLASSPATH% *.java

> The tomcat.bat file is in the same folder as the source file
> HelloServlet.java.
>
> Kindly let me know.
>
> Help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks