Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Helder Magalhães <he...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/05 17:34:45 UTC

Re: Google Summer of Code: Bring out your projects

Hi everyone,

>> If I understand correctly, you can register your proposed projects in
>> JIRA, see the above web page.

Oops, I missed that sentence; today, while revisiting this thread I
noticed that, according to the timeline [1], the proposals will need
to be postponed for next year. :-|  The deadline was pretty short,
though (apparently only a couple of days for JIRA creation + final
proposal compilation).

Somehow related, in the guide to being a mentor, it's stated in the
procedure that one should "Add an issue to JIRA (if your project
doesn't use JIRA contact dev@community.apache.org)" [2]. Could anyone
help understanding what is that exactly? I've crawled through the
available JIRA projects and saw none related with XML Graphics (Batik,
FOP, XML Graphics Commons)... (Also, if this is a lengthy process I'd
hint towards maybe triggering the process now so next year we won't
have this extra overhead.)

Regards,
 Helder

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/timeline
[2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html#guidetobeingamentor-Summary

Re: Google Summer of Code: Bring out your projects

Posted by Helder Magalhães <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

>> Could anyone
>> help understanding what is that exactly? I've crawled through the
>> available JIRA projects and saw none related with XML Graphics (Batik,
>> FOP, XML Graphics Commons)... (Also, if this is a lengthy process I'd
>> hint towards maybe triggering the process now so next year we won't
>> have this extra overhead.)
>
> JIRA is the ASF's bug tracking system, used by many projects instead
> of Bugzilla which we use.
[...]

Humm, I guess my question wasn't properly made (I had an idea of JIRA
as a bug tracker and it's use within ASF); I meant to ask what were
the implications of using JIRA when the project is using Bugzilla.
Sorry for the noise! ;-)

> See the archives at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/. Registering
> your project ideas should not take a long time.

OK, a little crawling showed that it is straightforward [1], with no
implications at all: the procedure for projects using Bugzilla is
simply using the "Community Development" project on JIRA, making sure
the title has prefix containing the project name ("PROJECT_NAME:").
More details available [1]. :-)

> Regards, Simon

Thanks,
 Helder

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/201003.mbox/%3C4BA8D87A.1010002@apache.org%3E

Re: Google Summer of Code: Bring out your projects

Posted by Helder Magalhães <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

>> Could anyone
>> help understanding what is that exactly? I've crawled through the
>> available JIRA projects and saw none related with XML Graphics (Batik,
>> FOP, XML Graphics Commons)... (Also, if this is a lengthy process I'd
>> hint towards maybe triggering the process now so next year we won't
>> have this extra overhead.)
>
> JIRA is the ASF's bug tracking system, used by many projects instead
> of Bugzilla which we use.
[...]

Posted by Helder Magalhães <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

>> Could anyone
>> help understanding what is that exactly? I've crawled through the
>> available JIRA projects and saw none related with XML Graphics (Batik,
>> FOP, XML Graphics Commons)... (Also, if this is a lengthy process I'd
>> hint towards maybe triggering the process now so next year we won't
>> have this extra overhead.)
>
> JIRA is the ASF's bug tracking system, used by many projects instead
> of Bugzilla which we use.
[...]

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.
On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 04:34:45PM +0100, Helder Magalhães wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Somehow related, in the guide to being a mentor, it's stated in the
> procedure that one should "Add an issue to JIRA (if your project
> doesn't use JIRA contact dev@community.apache.org)" [2]. Could anyone
> help understanding what is that exactly? I've crawled through the
> available JIRA projects and saw none related with XML Graphics (Batik,
> FOP, XML Graphics Commons)... (Also, if this is a lengthy process I'd
> hint towards maybe triggering the process now so next year we won't
> have this extra overhead.)

JIRA is the ASF's bug tracking system, used by many projects instead
of Bugzilla which we use. You can find it at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA. See also the Development
Infrastructure page http://www.apache.org/dev/, the section on issue
tracking, http://www.apache.org/dev/#issues.

Community Development Committee (see
http://community.apache.org/index.html), who lead the ASF's GSoC
efforts. See the archives at

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu

Re: Google Summer of Code: Bring out your projects

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.