Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Bernhard Hoisl <be...@wu.ac.at> on 2010/01/13 15:54:10 UTC

Wookie with OpenID support?

Just a quick question if it is planned to integrate any sort of OpenID
support in Wookie? Maybe with a call to the REST API before
instantiating a widget? This would simulate a single-sign-on mechanism
on a page where different Wookie widgets are displayed each needing
authentication.

I would need anything like that...

-Bernhard

Re: Wookie with OpenID support?

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 16 Jan 2010, at 12:04, Hugh Barnard wrote:

> Hi Bryan
>
> Thanks very much for this...yes, fits in with what I currently
> understand.
>
> Another area that I need to look at and haven't been into is the key
> arrangements/options for OAuth. It looks like there are symmetric
> and public
> key asymmetric (RSA) options.
>
> I don't personally want 'any' symmetric  at the back end because
> this will
> tie me to key distribution of some kind to deal with some of the
> process,
> but I'm not sure whether that's on the table.

There is also a variant called oAuth WRAP that takes place over HTTPS,
and doesn't require any additional encryption at the message level.

Posted by Hugh Barnard <hu...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Bryan

Posted by Hugh Barnard <hu...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 14 Jan 2010, at 17:09, Bernhard Hoisl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> thanks for your replies. As I'm pretty new to these things I am not
> 100% sure if I understood the pros and cons of OpenID and OAuth and
> their implementation costs correctly. But I will try to figure it
> out for myself in the next days - need some more thinking. Bryan's
> sequence diagram is really helpful in this!
>
> I have thought of an authentication process for several widgets
> displayed in a learning environment (e.g. Moodle, Elgg etc.). The
> problem are the web-services which are called by the widgets. I need
> to somehow grant access to the web-services only to logged-in users.

This is the use-case that oAuth serves - for example, this is how the
Twitter API works with third-party apps. See http://oauth.net/ and http://apiwiki.twitter.com/OAuth-FAQ
  for more details.

> I have thought of something like that: A user logs-in to a learning
> environment (e.g., Moodle, Elgg) which displays several widgets. The
> log-in is done by using OpenID. The OpenID identifier is then passed
> to Wookie which stores it in its internal database together with a
> token (hash). That means Wookie can trust the user because he has
> successfully authenticated himself using an OpenID provider. Then
> Elgg requests a widget from Wookie, which is displayed. The user
> now, for example, clicks on a button which invokes a web-service.
> The call to the web-service has to include the token. The web-
> service can retrieve the token and can itself make a call to the
> Wookie REST API, where we have to implement a new service which just
> compares the token passed through the web-service with the one
> previously stored in Wookie's internal database. If the tokens are
> identical access is granted, otherwise an error message is thrown.

If you look at the oAuth guide this should help - the basic flow of
events using oAuth would be something like this:

- User logs into the application (e.g. Elgg)
- User adds the "Twitter" Wookie Widget to their profile page
- User clicks the "Authorize Me!" button in the widget
- Widget calls "authorize()"  method of the Wookie oAuth JavaScript
API, which launches a Twitter Authorization page in a new window,
passing in Wookie's consumer key, token, and redirection URL
- User logs into Twitter in the new window, and authorizes the Twitter
Wookie Widget to access the Twitter API
- Twitter redirects to Wookie with an authz token
- Wookie caches the token in the DB
- Wookie sends an "authorized" event to the widget instance in Elgg
through the JS API
- Widget calls the Wookie oAuth JS API with a "getData" request to the
Twitter web API
- Wookie oAuth JS API calls Wookie's proxy service, which sends the
API request along with the token to Twitter
- Twitter sends the data back to the Widget

OK, that sounds pretty long winded, however this only happens the
first time, in future its just:

- User accesses their profile page in Elgg
- Widget calls Wookie oAuth JS API with a "getData" request
- Wookie oAuth JS API calls Wookie's proxy service, which sends the
API request along with the cached token to Twitter
- Twitter sends the data back to the Widget

> Or, as every external service has to be proxified anyways the api
> key could be used for authentication (isthe API key included when
> proxifying a URL?). That means if a user sees a widget, he has to be
> logged in (=authenticated anyways). So a web-service just have to
> check if the api_key is right. Then I would have an application
> based authentication instead of a user based, but that would be fine
> with me.

Yes, the API key is always taken into account when the proxy service
is invoked, as this is part of how Wookie identifies a widget
instance. That could be used to create a shared secret with the web
service, but wouldn't really work in the same sort of standards-
compliant fashion as oAuth.

Posted by Bernhard Hoisl <be...@wu.ac.at>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 13 Jan 2010, at 23:36, Copeland, Bryan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done similar OpenID/OAuth integrations before, so a high level
> overview of how it might work in Wookie could somehow be helpful:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WOOKIE/Wookie+OpenID
> +support
>
> I thought it might belong on the wiki where others can add more
> details about how it might work, and, most importantly, what they'd
> like to accomplish with it...

This is fantastic Bryan - exactly what we need to get a shared idea of
how we would want to proceed. I'll try and work up an "oAuth only"
flow too using the same format.

Posted by Hugh Barnard <hu...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.