Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/11/30 17:56:22 UTC

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Moving to legal-discuss (from general@incubator).

This thread starts here [1] as a fork from [2].  One comment to a recent
response from Ted is below, but the basic re-cap:

I want to verify whether:
1) a code base that is under AL2.0 can be donated to the ASF without an
SGA.
2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working on it in
the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give consent in
email, essentially like other folks do for patches?
3) if not all past contributors to that code base respond to give their
consent in email, can the ASF still accept this code base.

On 11/30/15, 6:54 AM, "Ted Dunning" <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> >b) are you just re-inventing the ICLA?
>>
>> In my mind, the ICLA represents your formal pledge to be part of an ASF
>> community and continue to contribute.  It has to be recorded by the
>> secretary and reads like legal-ese   I am trying for a hopefully quicker
>> and easier informal adoption. I really don't expect the past
>>contributors
>> to join this new family (i.e. work on this code at the ASF).  The ones
>>who
>> want to truly join will have to sign an ICLA and be voted in as a
>> committer.
>

>Yes, it does read like legalese, but no it doesn't bind anybody to be part
>of the ASF or to continue to contribute.

I agree it doesn't bind you in that way, but IMO, the ICLA assumes there
will be future work which is one of the reasons it is long and legal.
This makes sense in most cases because code donations usually come in with
committers, but the essence of this thread is whether there is a less
formal shortcut if someone has code under AL and they want us to take over
it and don't have plans themselves to continue to work on it.  If they
want to keep working on it, we'll ask for an ICLA.

Thanks,
-Alex

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201511.mbox/%3cD
27B3376.5CC2A%25aharui@adobe.com%3e
[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201511.mbox/%3cC
AHfHakFcf+KRH6-ZTykaSCnPo8Xo2AKZ7Vhc4oaTWKNvDJc1JQ@mail.gmail.com%3e

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/1/15, 10:34 AM, "Jim Jagielski" <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:

>If the community is dead, there's no one around to give it
>to us :)

I'm not quite sure how to interpret that.  The community is dead, but
most/all of the code owners are probably not and my takeaway from various
threads is that the code owners are the ones who really have
decision-making power especially when the community is effectively dead.
And since a major code owner from each code base has indicated a desire to
donate, I would like to characterize the transaction that way so they
continue to appear to be offering something to us, instead of us taking
something from them.

Is that ok?  Do you care that much about the words in this draft?  Do you
want it to be more conversational as you proposed it instead of line-item
as I proposed it?

Thanks,
-Alex

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> The word "fork" just seems less friendly and implies to me that

In the age of Git, a fork should be considered free of any negative
implications.

> there will be more than one valid version which I don't think is the

Which only means, that you should distinguish between "Foo" and
"Apache Foo" very quickly.

Jochen

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/30/15, 12:14 PM, "Jim Jagielski" <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:

>I would suggest characterizing this as a 'fork' rather
>than a donation... Ala:
>
>  We notice that Project Foo is basically dead. Project
>  Foo is licensed under the Apache License v2. The ASF
>  would like to create a fork of Foo and reboot the
>  project as suggested by a previous major contributor.
>  We are sending this email out to all known contributors
>  to inform you and to ensure there are no conflicts or
>  concerns.... blah blah... we understand that all your
>  contributions were under the ALv2... blah blah...
>
>Since it appears that, unlike Groovy, there is not a person
>authorize to sign "for" the entire project, it is best
>to consider this a fork, not a donation and to structure
>the conversation around that.

In both of these cases, while there is no single person or entity that
owns the code base, there is a small core of folks who did almost all of
the work.  The word "fork" just seems less friendly and implies to me that
there will be more than one valid version which I don't think is the
intent of the past contributors I've discussed with.  I'm hoping the
result is that the center of development moves to the ASF and doesn't
split.

Please can we try to characterize this as a "donation"?

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 November 2015 at 17:49, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/15, 9:29 AM, "Jim Jagielski" <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working on it
>>>in
>>> the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give consent in
>>> email, essentially like other folks do for patches?
>>
>>Do you mean for the existing code or for future patches? The
>>question is not quite clear.
>
> Existing code.
>
>>My suggested course of action is to send an email to the
>>current project's development and user lists (maybe create
>>some Issue or Bugz entry, etc...) with the notice that a PMC
>>at the ASF wishes to fork the project and maintain and develop
>>it and to ask for comments. If there is dissent in that community
>>about this course of action, I would encourage you asking both
>>Legal and the PMC "what to do now".
>
> I forgot to mention in my re-cap that there really isn't a community
> associated with these code bases anymore.  So to me, asking folks who've
> made contributions in the past is the same as asking the community.  I
> will ask what to do if there is dissent, but my main question here is, if
> I send an email to 12 past contributors and only 4 respond after a week of
> waiting (which covers 90% of the code), can we take 100% of the code as
> long as we feel that if we do get any objections later we can kick out
> those changes with out ruining that code base?

It seems to me that waiting just a week is insufficient here.
Some people go on holidays and don't have e-mail access.
[Indeed the longer the holiday perhaps the less likely they will have
e-mail access.]

I think it would be polite to wait quite a bit longer - e.g. 4+ weeks
- before assuming that you won't get a response.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Nov 30, 2015, at 11:56 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> Moving to legal-discuss (from general@incubator).
>
> This thread starts here [1] as a fork from [2].  One comment to a recent
> response from Ted is below, but the basic re-cap:
>
> I want to verify whether:
> 1) a code base that is under AL2.0 can be donated to the ASF without an
> SGA.

Legally, we are free to bring in code which is covered under
a compatible permissive license without a software grant.
Basically, this is simply us leveraging the licensed software
as any downstream user would.

With that said, we usually prefer that the codebase formally
be donated via a SGA if there is an entity that has the
authority and capability of signing the SGA.

> 2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working on it in
> the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give consent in
> email, essentially like other folks do for patches?

Do you mean for the existing code or for future patches? The
question is not quite clear.

> 3) if not all past contributors to that code base respond to give their
> consent in email, can the ASF still accept this code base.

From this, I assume that you mean, for question #2, "Does the
ASF require an iCLA from all original authors of the external
codebase". In general, we do not; in fact, iCLAs are only required
for those w/ commit privs. We do require iCLAs and/or SGA from
original authors IF the incoming code requires relicensing. Since
the code is already ALv2, it does not require such relicensing.
The only condition is whether or not the authors and contributors
knew that their contributions were under ALv2. We can assume that
they knew that, since License In == License Out has some precedent
in the Open Source realm.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Richard Eckart de Castilho
<re...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02.12.2015, at 15:31, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> This page has a lot of answers:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>>
>> And in particular:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-moveothercopyright
>
> Yep, that section says
>
> "If the copyright owner is still involved with the project, they should
> move the notice themselves or permit us to do so."
>
> Since the SGA doesn't say anything about preserving copyright headers
> (unlike the ALv2), does that mean that we have the permissions to remove
> the headers through the SGA - or do we require an additional explicit
> permission?
>
> Just to note: I always thought we need an additional explicit permission
> to remove the headers beyond the SGA!
>
> But reading the past posts, I wondered if I was thinking wrongly and the
> SGA would be permission enough... because otherwise, I don't understand
> this statement:

Our policy is to have the original copyright holders remove copyright
headers; given that policy, whether or not it would be legally
permissible for us to do so is moot, so lets not go there.  (My best
guess is that we would be wandering into murky legal territory)

>> On 02.12.2015, at 03:49, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> With an ICLA/SG, we can license the code as we wish.
>>
>> With ALv2, we can sublicense (as in providing the code under a
>> different license), but still need to comply with the terms of the
>> original license.  In particular, we need to treat the copyright
>> headers exactly as we ask our downstream licensees to do.
>
> It kind of implies to me: "with an ICLA/SG, we do *not* need to treat
> the copyright headers exactly as we ask our downstream licensees to do"
> and in the context of the discussion, I would read that in particular as
> "we do not have to preserve copyright headers of code provided under an
> ICLA/SG".

I'm not certainly how you came to that conclusion, what I meant was
stated in that parenthetical.

Not that we ever would, but we could make such code available under
the "WTFPL" license.  Just like our downstream licensees can make such
code available under GPLv3 or various proprietary licenses.

Making it available under a different license does not require removal
of the copyright headers.  In fact, here some guidance the SFLC
provides for incorporating code under a permissive license (such as
ALv2) into a larger work made available under GPLv3:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html#x1-40002.2

In fact, you will find code originally derived from Apache sources in
the JDK -- complete with Apache copyright headers.

Bringing this back to the original discussion, if we can't get
representatives of the original owners to voluntarily remove the
copyright headers, then we leave them intact; adding our own.

> Cheers,
>
> -- Richard

- Sam Ruby

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Thanks for all of the discussion so far.  I am going to cherry-pick the
things I liked out of all of the points raised in this thread and propose
this draft (still avoiding the word "fork").  I am going to open a
discussion on the Flex dev@ list about code adoption so I won't be sending
out this draft until next week at the earliest.  And when we do send it
out, we will wait 30 days before considering a recipient as a
non-responder.

----- Draft 3 -------

Subject:  Apache Flex Adopting XXX

[Friendly intro]

A major contributor of XXX has indicated a desire to have the Apache
Software Foundation's Apache Flex project be the new home of future
development of the XXX code.  Normally, this is called a "donation" and
requires a bunch of legal paperwork, but because this code base is already
licensed under Apache License 2.0, the Apache Flex project can "adopt"
this code base with out all that paperwork.  We are sending this email out
to all known contributors to inform you and to ensure there are no
conflicts or concerns.

Please reply to this email to affirm that:

1) You do not have conflicts or concerns with Apache Flex adopting XXX.
2) The code you wrote is licensed under Apache License 2.0
3) You understand that under the Apache License 2.0, you retain the
copyright of the code you wrote.  You are only granting  a license to not
only the Apache Software Foundation (the ASF), but to anyone else as well.
4) You understand that if we cannot get enough affirmative emails from
enough contributors to this code base, the "adoption" may be abandoned.
5) You understand that if this "adoption" is completed, future downloads
should come from, and changes applied to, the code base in an
ASF-controlled code management and distribution system, and discussion
about the code base should happen on Apache Flex mailing lists.
6) You understand that if you are not already an Apache Flex Committer and

----- End Draft 3 -----

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/12/2015 22:47, Greg Stein wrote:
>> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
>> > <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     > 2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working
>> > on it in
>> >     > the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give
>> > consent in
>> >     > email, essentially like other folks do for patches?
>> >
>> >     Again, legally, ICLAs are only required for committers. For anyone
>> > else
>> >     anything that meets the requirement of section 5 of the ALv2 is
>> >     sufficient.
>> >

>> > To a point. See below.

>> >     > 3) if not all past contributors to that code base respond to give
>> > their
>> >     > consent in email, can the ASF still accept this code base.
>> >
>> >     This is where it gets a little bit tricky. It helps a lot that the
>> > code
>> >     is ALv2 so we don't need to change license headers.
>> >

>> >     You will need to be careful with any copyright headers.
>> >

>> > I would suggest that we leave the original copyright headers in the
>> > files, but prepend them with our standard header. ie. keep ours at the
>> > top of all files, but the old header is just below it.
>> >
>> > I believe the key difference between adopting(*) (not forking, or
>> > receiving a donation) a codebase, and one arriving under a slew of ICLAs
>> > and/or SGAs is that we do not have the right to *sublicense*.
>> >
>> > The ICLA and SGAs give us that right. That allows us to revise the
>> > copyright headers(**). It also allows us to release this stuff under
>> > ALv3 or ALv2.1 or whatever comes along in the future.
>> >
>> > Adopting a codebase? Nope. We only get to use it under the ALv2 that it
>> > had when we adopted it.
>>
>> How do you square that position with section 2 of the ALv2 that grants
>> various rights including the right to sublicense?
>
> Oh ho!!! Nice.
>
> Then never mind :-)
>
> Tho I still say "adopt" ... hehe

Actually, I agree with your previous position.  And with Jim's
suggestion that this is a fork, not a donation.  And (as Seinfeld
would say)... not that there is anything wrong with that.  :-)

With an ICLA/SG, we can license the code as we wish.

With ALv2, we can sublicense (as in providing the code under a
different license), but still need to comply with the terms of the
original license.  In particular, we need to treat the copyright
headers exactly as we ask our downstream licensees to do.

The difference is subtle.  It is theoretically possible that this
could be important if we were to ever want to create an ALv3,
particularly if ALv3 is anything other than a proper superset of ALv2.
Not something that we need to be overly concerned about, but something
that we will need to capture for posterity.

> Thx.
> -g

- Sam Ruby

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 01/12/2015 22:47, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
> > <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     > 2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working
> on it in
> >     > the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give
> consent in
> >     > email, essentially like other folks do for patches?
> >
> >     Again, legally, ICLAs are only required for committers. For anyone
> else
> >     anything that meets the requirement of section 5 of the ALv2 is
> >     sufficient.
> >

> > To a point. See below.

> >     > 3) if not all past contributors to that code base respond to give
> their
> >     > consent in email, can the ASF still accept this code base.
> >
> >     This is where it gets a little bit tricky. It helps a lot that the
> code
> >     is ALv2 so we don't need to change license headers.
> >

> >     You will need to be careful with any copyright headers.
> >

> > I would suggest that we leave the original copyright headers in the
> > files, but prepend them with our standard header. ie. keep ours at the
> > top of all files, but the old header is just below it.
> >
> > I believe the key difference between adopting(*) (not forking, or
> > receiving a donation) a codebase, and one arriving under a slew of ICLAs
> > and/or SGAs is that we do not have the right to *sublicense*.
> >
> > The ICLA and SGAs give us that right. That allows us to revise the
> > copyright headers(**). It also allows us to release this stuff under
> > ALv3 or ALv2.1 or whatever comes along in the future.
> >
> > Adopting a codebase? Nope. We only get to use it under the ALv2 that it
> > had when we adopted it.
>
> How do you square that position with section 2 of the ALv2 that grants
> various rights including the right to sublicense?

Oh ho!!! Nice.

Then never mind :-)

Tho I still say "adopt" ... hehe

Thx,
-g

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 01/12/2015 22:47, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     > 2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working on it in
>     > the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give consent in
>     > email, essentially like other folks do for patches?
>
>     Again, legally, ICLAs are only required for committers. For anyone else
>     anything that meets the requirement of section 5 of the ALv2 is
>     sufficient.
>

> To a point. See below.

>     > 3) if not all past contributors to that code base respond to give their
>     > consent in email, can the ASF still accept this code base.
>
>     This is where it gets a little bit tricky. It helps a lot that the code
>     is ALv2 so we don't need to change license headers.
>

>     You will need to be careful with any copyright headers.
>

> I would suggest that we leave the original copyright headers in the
> files, but prepend them with our standard header. ie. keep ours at the
> top of all files, but the old header is just below it.
>
> I believe the key difference between adopting(*) (not forking, or
> receiving a donation) a codebase, and one arriving under a slew of ICLAs
> and/or SGAs is that we do not have the right to *sublicense*.
>
> The ICLA and SGAs give us that right. That allows us to revise the
> copyright headers(**). It also allows us to release this stuff under
> ALv3 or ALv2.1 or whatever comes along in the future.
>
> Adopting a codebase? Nope. We only get to use it under the ALv2 that it
> had when we adopted it.

How do you square that position with section 2 of the ALv2 that grants
various rights including the right to sublicense?

Mark

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> > 2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working on it in
> > the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give consent in
> > email, essentially like other folks do for patches?
>
> Again, legally, ICLAs are only required for committers. For anyone else
> anything that meets the requirement of section 5 of the ALv2 is sufficient.

To a point. See below.

> > 3) if not all past contributors to that code base respond to give their
> > consent in email, can the ASF still accept this code base.
>
> This is where it gets a little bit tricky. It helps a lot that the code
> is ALv2 so we don't need to change license headers.

> You will need to be careful with any copyright headers.

I would suggest that we leave the original copyright headers in the files,
but prepend them with our standard header. ie. keep ours at the top of all
files, but the old header is just below it.

I believe the key difference between adopting(*) (not forking, or receiving
a donation) a codebase, and one arriving under a slew of ICLAs and/or SGAs
is that we do not have the right to *sublicense*.

The ICLA and SGAs give us that right. That allows us to revise the
copyright headers(**). It also allows us to release this stuff under ALv3
or ALv2.1 or whatever comes along in the future.

Adopting a codebase? Nope. We only get to use it under the ALv2 that it had
when we adopted it.

Cheers,
-g

(*) else-thread is a query about terminology; I think "adopting" avoids the
negative connotation of "fork", and it does not presume an active entity
"donating" something to us
(**) socially, we prefer the prior copyright holder to remove those as a
clear acknowledgement of the right to relicense, but we *can* do it
ourselves

Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Caveat: I may be a (relatively) old hand around here but I am not on the
legal committee and I can't speak for the ASF on legal matters.

On 30/11/2015 16:56, Alex Harui wrote:
> Moving to legal-discuss (from general@incubator).
>
> This thread starts here [1] as a fork from [2].  One comment to a recent
> response from Ted is below, but the basic re-cap:
>
> I want to verify whether:
> 1) a code base that is under AL2.0 can be donated to the ASF without an
> SGA.

>From a purely legal perspective if the original code is ALv2.0 you are
free to proceed without any additional paperwork.

However, socially, we choose to impose some additional constraints upon
ourselves.

> 2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working on it in
> the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give consent in
> email, essentially like other folks do for patches?

Again, legally, ICLAs are only required for committers. For anyone else
anything that meets the requirement of section 5 of the ALv2 is sufficient.

Some TLPs require an ICLA for any contribution. With one noteable
historic exception (Harmony), I view that as unnecessary bureaucracy.
Some TLPs require an ICLA for 'significant' contributions. My own view
there is that if someone is contributing enough to make you think you
need an ICLA then you should have made that contributor a committer already.

So, to answer your question, an e-mail (ideally to the dev list so it is
in the archives) is fine. If they want to use private e-mail then ask
them to send it to the (P)PMC private list so it is in our private archives.

> 3) if not all past contributors to that code base respond to give their
> consent in email, can the ASF still accept this code base.

This is where it gets a little bit tricky. It helps a lot that the code
is ALv2 so we don't need to change license headers.

You will need to be careful with any copyright headers.

My own (personal) view is yes you are fine but the project should be
prepared for one of these contributors to say at some point down the
line "I don't want to use my code." Although we have the right to do so
since it is ALv2, socially, the expectation at that point is that the
PMC would remove it. To be honest, I think this is pretty unlikely.

The general rule is even if we have the legal right to use code, we
don't if the original authors don't want us to.

I would add that you should make sure that the old community is given
plenty of very clear notice of the intention to move the code to the ASF
so they have opportunity to get involved or object if they wish.

Mark