Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/02 13:33:49 UTC

It’s here, it’s here! collection creation contest day!!

The day that I was moments away from over a year and half ago, caught a
case of amnesia, and clawed my way back to, the long, painful, because pain
builds character.

There will be one contestant, me. The rules will be made in the fly. And I
will share what no other living soul has yet to whiteness. Not my stress
collaborators, or occasional branch interlopers. Not those closest to me in
the world. It’s a myth, a mirage, and today on collection creation day,
it’s come to life.

I officially turned into a pumpkin yesterday or the day before, so my heart
felt appreciation to whoever put it on the calendar.

This is not my best, the world opens up at the end, but it is the best I’ll
do. Get out your memes, your jeers, and your beers. Within a fees, the
contest begins.

MRM
--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: It’s here, it’s here! collection creation contest day!!

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Alright, a little collection creat contest overtime after the toss up
finish:

https://github.com/markrmiller/solr/issues/1

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Technically the contest was a toss up.

But I refuse to let go just yet. There might be overtime. Damnit, I put in
too much too many times to come up an inch short.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
It’s a small beer outside concert break for the great creat contest. My
next reply will report the conclusion. The it’s not the end of what should
happen, just enough of the beginning.

A quick recap of the effort and the previous efforts.

I put a lot of effort into solving the Solr test problem. That led me to
making all kinds of performance and stability improvements and bug fixes.

A lot of the issues will all that is around the collection API and all that
goes in that world.

Do improvements. And then it was virtuous connected circle amount it all.

And at the end of the day, I found that that even with all that, a final
solution, the quality and stability and everything that I was seeking, was
so much closer, but not there.

And then I found that if I pushed the collection API hard as hell, the rest
of the answers would start to fall. Sure, you want to push in other places.
Other things are important. But most of them either do not remain elusive
or have answers that overlap with the collection API hammering.

And so I finish the start of that effort to put a bow and finishing touch
on everything. To show how it would have fully pulled everything together
and to give a peak at that world.

MRM

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Whew, I’m going super slow today, lots of breaks, it’s nice outside. Those
ducks are almost enough.

One note spoiler, the collection creat contest is actually not a contest at
all. One real contestant and all.

Nor is the time to show off my super duper branch of a lifetime.

It’s documentation of the moment I cross the threshold that I stood over
and invested ridiculously to back to. It’s the demonstration and final
large flashlight to and for me on my effort.

It’s an invitation to join me in that moment not yet the flaunting of it.

MRM

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
So I described sometime around 4 am Friday morning as the moment that
started the best day I’ve had in years. And like with any religion, it’s
crazy to talk to heretics this way. This is why the successful religions
focus on conversation  above all else.

But I’ve never cared much about success beyond a certain bare minimum
threshold.

And so at 4 am I completed the reawakening of my faith. No doubt, at times
I questioned it. But as a staunch and solid and unwavering faithless
individual, I knew if I had found faith somewhere, I was not up to the
challenge of questioning it with no firm grip on the facts.

Sure, I had to make the journey not once but twice, the second time deeper
and harder, engage in that struggle more than once - question my world and
grip on the timelines - what else can be expected from a faithless man -
but after back into the whale and then back out again, I’m still muttering
“speed is the light.”

So quickly, I’ll kick this fake viruses hold on my system straight back
out, I’ll finish praying to my god the best way I know how, with a
successful collection creation contest, and then boom ... who knows, who
cares. I don’t even even plan for the next hour.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Well the cliff notes on last night's collection creation contest is that I
was beaten.

Unbelievable. Pick and roll was working all night, I'd pre watched the
game, and then I spent a full 40 minutes to an hour trying to remember what
an Http2SolrClient.Builder was and where I would find one, between other
thoughts.

Bit there is a rematch this weekend if I survive the vaccine. And this
being the last such contest of this  type I engage in, I won't settle for
any 1-2 minute just to create the collection bullshit. It's a beat down or
go home. I don't care if this vaccine kills in my weekend state, makes me
sick, my first and last collection creation contest is going to be a
landslide. Well, if my wife doesn't. She could wake up any moment and I
have no where to dive and pretend I'm just waking up.I did sleep a
couple hours. I will go to sleep more. No one says anything.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.