Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com> on 2003/02/20 14:22:21 UTC

svn client local file access across win/unix

I am just starting to play with svn at my work as a replacement for VSS.  I
created a test repository in IRIX and everything seems to work fine.
However, we also have win32 machines on our network.  We already have SAMBA
set up and running, so I was wondering if there was really a need for
http:// access.  I know the svn:// access is very very alpha at the moment.

Could something be done to translate a windows path to unix and vice versa?
Say, in my .svn/ config files, there could be a UNIX path and a WINDOWS path
to the same repository.  Let the SAMBA/NFS/whatever handle file permissions
and user access, and still have access to "local" repositories?

I'm thinking this could be a small task, but I really am not familiar with
the codebase yet. :)

Would it be beneficial or worth anyone's time (or mine) to try and implelent
this?  Any feedback?  Good idea? Sucks?  Have I been standing on my head too
long? ;)

-Richard Balint
(the ArchFool)

-----
If a server crashes
And nobody is logged in
Do the Administrators really care?

Sir.Woody@Hackswell.com       http://sir.woody.hackswell.com

Re: svn client local file access across win/unix

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com> writes:
>

>>I know the svn:// access is very very alpha at the moment.
>>

>Who told you that?  I think it's very stable.  It passes all the
>regression tests, and many people have started using it.

Uh. It fails about half the regression tests on Windows, hanging in
svnserve. What I haven't had the occasion to try yet was using a Windows
ra_svn client and svnserve on Unix. I suspect that would work just
marvellously.

Re: svn client local file access across win/unix

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>>Would it be beneficial or worth anyone's time (or mine) to try and implelent
>>this?
>>

>The best possible way you can spend your time is to use ra_svn, so we
>can discover any hidden bugs.  Let's make ra_svn better, not hack
>around it!

more importantly, accessing a repository via ra_local over a network
filesystem is almost certainly not safe, due to the way berkeley db works.

-garrett

Re: svn client local file access across win/unix

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Sir Woody Hackswell wrote:

>On 20 Feb 2003, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>

>>>Alpha as in it has no authentication.  Having anonymous checking things in
>>>defeats the purpose of being able to track who munged up what. ;)
>>>

>>It has the exact same authentication as CVS over rsh -- it tunnels
>>over ssh.
>>
>>It sounds like this is all happening on a LAN.  Don't all your
>>potential svn users already have Unix accounts (and ssh access) on the
>>svn server?
>>

>Yes.  Maybe my problem is the lack of good documentation on using svnserve.
>(yes there's a paragraph or two that aren't clear on a complete setup).
>
>Remember, we've never used cvs. Only VSS.  I haven't set up any ssh tunnels
>for this LAN yet.
>
>And that's the other thing.  We still want access to a GUI.  Yes, we could
>ssh to the *nix boxen and do the CLI, but most of our developers aren't such
>unixheads like myself. ;)  Then there's getting the win32 clients to tunnel
>as well. =big headache=  Maybe I will just set up apache. =sigh=

What are you talking about? You don't have to "set up any ssh tunnels
for this LAN" -- you simply configure the Subversion client -- *any*
Subversion client -- to tunnel over SSH if it uses the svn:// access
method. End of problem.

Re: svn client local file access across win/unix

Posted by Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com>.
On 20 Feb 2003, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> > Alpha as in it has no authentication.  Having anonymous checking things in
> > defeats the purpose of being able to track who munged up what. ;)
>
> It has the exact same authentication as CVS over rsh -- it tunnels
> over ssh.
>
> It sounds like this is all happening on a LAN.  Don't all your
> potential svn users already have Unix accounts (and ssh access) on the
> svn server?

Yes.  Maybe my problem is the lack of good documentation on using svnserve.
(yes there's a paragraph or two that aren't clear on a complete setup).

Remember, we've never used cvs. Only VSS.  I haven't set up any ssh tunnels
for this LAN yet.

And that's the other thing.  We still want access to a GUI.  Yes, we could
ssh to the *nix boxen and do the CLI, but most of our developers aren't such
unixheads like myself. ;)  Then there's getting the win32 clients to tunnel
as well. =big headache=  Maybe I will just set up apache. =sigh=

Thanks for all of the input though.

-----
I compile like an animal..... I want to ping you form the outside.....
I compile like an animal..... my whole kernel is flawed...
You bring us both closer to Bob.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com>.
On 20 Feb 2003, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com> writes:
>
> > I know the svn:// access is very very alpha at the moment.
>
> Who told you that?  I think it's very stable.  It passes all the
> regression tests, and many people have started using it.

Alpha as in it has no authentication.  Having anonymous checking things in
defeats the purpose of being able to track who munged up what. ;)

Would creating a basic authentication scheme or plugin scheme be a more
worthy cause?

-Richard Balint

-----
We are lagging too far behind
In our desire to race ahead of ourselves
And everybody else in this phantom race.
Information kills the mind; Internet is the new Boob-Tube

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Sir Woody Hackswell <wo...@hackswell.com> writes:

> I know the svn:// access is very very alpha at the moment.

Who told you that?  I think it's very stable.  It passes all the
regression tests, and many people have started using it.

> Say, in my .svn/ config files, there could be a UNIX path and a WINDOWS path
> to the same repository.

That way lies madness.