Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/31 02:59:05 UTC

PingMyBox mails and notifications mailing list

Once the notifications mailing list is created, do we want all
PingMyBox emails to be sent to it?

Or do we want PMB to continue to send to dev@, but drop the WARN level
from its reporting and send our own e-mails to the notifications list
for WARNings?

I think we need to send e-mails anyway for the diffs.

Re: PingMyBox mails and notifications mailing list

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 April 2016 at 01:05, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 March 2016 at 01:59, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Once the notifications mailing list is created, do we want all
>> PingMyBox emails to be sent to it?
>>
>> Or do we want PMB to continue to send to dev@, but drop the WARN level
>> from its reporting and send our own e-mails to the notifications list
>> for WARNings?
>
> If it is acceptable to change the delivery address for PMB emails,
> that would be the simplest code-wise.
> But of course would need a change to the PMB config.

I was told recently that the 'notifications' list name is special, and
only accepts e-mails from Apache addresses.
Same for 'issues' apparently.

So it won't be able to accept PingMyBox e-mails.

Unless I hear otherwise, I assume we are OK with keeping the PMB mails
on the dev list,
provided that we can change the status script to stop the timeout
warnings and any other such recoverable error messages from triggering
PMB. Such warnings should go to the notifications list instead.

There should then only be the occasional failure caused by multiple
consecutive LDAP errors.
We should probably consider these recoverable in the sense that the
script will run again before long. The monitoring already checks
whether the cron job log has been updated recently, but does not
currently check for multiple runs with failed outcomes.

There will still be the regular proxy / network failures.
AFAIK we cannot stop PMB reporting those, though they are not really a
Whimsy problem per se.

Dropping the warnings should cut down the PMB traffic by quite a lot.
Luckily it's easy to filter the PMB messages.

>> I think we need to send e-mails anyway for the diffs.
>
> Implemented; under test.

Seems to work OK now I've added the charset def.
The emails are now making it to the mailing list (once I fixed the
silly .a.o (sic) typo...)

Re: PingMyBox mails and notifications mailing list

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.