Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Elliotte Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu> on 2006/08/08 18:23:27 UTC

Parser does not recognize feature (http://apache.org/xml/features/xinclude)

I've got a complex system (i.e. string and bailing wire) that, through
Ant, is kicking up a lot of error messages like these two:

     [java] warning: Parser does not recognize feature
(http://apache.org/xml/features/xinclude)
      [java] warning: Parser does not recognize feature
(http://apache.org/xml/features/xinclude/fixup-base-uris)

The target documents do use XInclude, though I'm not necessarily
resolving them. I've been able to reproduce this with purely sax.Counter
driven through Ant. This is in Java 5, Ant 1.6.3, and Xerces possibly 2.8.

Before I spend more time trying to reduce this further, i.e. assign
blame to Xerces or Ant, do these messages look familiar to anyone? Can
someone explain why I'm getting them? Obviously it has something to do
with XInclude, but what I don't understand is why these features are
being requested without me asking for them.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!

Re: Parser does not recognize feature (http://apache.org/xml/features/xinclude)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Elliotte Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu> wrote on 08/08/2006 12:23:27 PM:

> I've got a complex system (i.e. string and bailing wire) that, through
> Ant, is kicking up a lot of error messages like these two:
>
>      [java] warning: Parser does not recognize feature
> (http://apache.org/xml/features/xinclude)
>       [java] warning: Parser does not recognize feature
> (http://apache.org/xml/features/xinclude/fixup-base-uris)
>
> The target documents do use XInclude, though I'm not necessarily
> resolving them. I've been able to reproduce this with purely sax.Counter

> driven through Ant. This is in Java 5, Ant 1.6.3, and Xerces possibly
2.8.

> Before I spend more time trying to reduce this further, i.e. assign
> blame to Xerces or Ant, do these messages look familiar to anyone? Can
> someone explain why I'm getting them? Obviously it has something to do
> with XInclude, but what I don't understand is why these features are
> being requested without me asking for them.

sax.Counter and most other Xerces samples report a warning to System.err
for each feature used by the sample that is supported by the version of
Xerces which matches with the sample but for some reason isn't being
recognized. You probably have an older version of Xerces somewhere in your
classpath or something is overriding [1] the default parser configuration
with one that doesn't support XInclude.

> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@metalab.unc.edu
> Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!