Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/05/07 18:45:09 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/os/win32 os.h

On 7 May 1998 coar@hyperreal.org wrote:

> coar        98/05/07 05:24:31
>
>   Modified:    .        STATUS
>                htdocs/manual/mod core.html
>                src      CHANGES buildmark.c
>                src/include http_conf_globals.h httpd.h
>                src/main http_core.c http_main.c
>                src/os/bs2000 os.h
>                src/os/emx os.h
>                src/os/unix os.h
>                src/os/win32 os.h
>   Log:
>   	Add the core AddVersionComponent and AddVersionPlatform directives,
>   	which make the SERVER_SUBVERSION functionality a runtime thing and
>   	allow adding OS identity to the Server-Version string respectively.

I really don't understand this.  I must have missed the discussion
that talked about what the point of directives to have people
modify the string is or what the point of including the OS
in the string if it is going to default to being disabled.
If it isn't enabled by default, then from my perspective it is just
extra bloat that doesn't gain anything.  All the arguments for adding
it are pretty void if only a small percent of servers use it.

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/os/win32 os.h

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> I really don't understand this.  I must have missed the discussion
> that talked about what the point of directives to have people
> modify the string is or what the point of including the OS
> in the string if it is going to default to being disabled.

I don't think a default of exposing more information than formerly
is a good idea.  Adding "AddVersionPlatform On" to http.conf-dist,
though - that I can see as goodness.  (With an accompanying comment,
of course.)

#ken	P-)}