Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Timothy Prepscius <ti...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/19 14:58:39 UTC

overhead of JmxServerProbe?

I am wondering whether anyone knows the overhead associated with the JmxServerProbe?

So, currently, I instantiate a JMX interface and keep it around indefinitely in order to create users.
However, it eventually times out and fails to reconnect.
Thereafter, user creation fails.

So, if I use JMX, I will need to change the code to instantiate the JMX interface with each user creation.

---

Is this wise?  What sort of overhead am I inducing by creating this JMX interface?

I'm wondering if I should instead just write directly to the james.JAMES_USER table.

-tim

Re: overhead of JmxServerProbe?

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Sounds logic.
If you ever see a timeout exception, just paste in a JIRA.
Thx, Eric

Posted by Timothy Prepscius <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timothy Prepscius <ti...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that was strange.
Ok.  I have not been able to get the timeout error again.

I believe yesterday when I tested with the james server restart, I may have restarted user-adder.
I can't other wise explain why it worked.

Today I created a user.  (which worked without timeout after 12 hours).
I immediately killed james and restarted it 10 seconds later.  (sockets)
Attempted to create another user and got a jmx exception.

So.  At this point I believe my e-mail from yesterday gave incorrect information.

--

At this point, I would guess that:

1.  I remember the initial exception incorrectly, and that I never got a timeout.  I could have just gotten a connection problem, and I mentally inserted the word timeout.

2. If there was in fact a timeout, perhaps I had killed the James server, and somehow, as the connection timed out, and tried to reconnect it caught this exception and attributed it to timeout, where in fact it was a missing James Server, or a restarted name server.

Anyhow.  If I ever see the timeout again I will save the log!

-tim

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timothy Prepscius <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.