Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/03 04:29:18 UTC

Re: JetSpeed Vs IBM

my perspectus..

IBM Portal will have company support, expensive, and have several feature
that Jetspeed don't have, esp with Portlet Management (hiding max, edit,
min, close button).

But, Installing IBM Portal is not as easy as Jetspeed, you must install
WebSphere, Macromedia (I forgot the product name, LikeMinds)

The engine of IBM Portal used Jetspeed (they modify it, I think).

Jetspeed is easy, but still have a lack of documentation, and you will got
thousand problem to used it, because this is  a complex system, you must
learn Turbine, Velocity, Log4J, Castor, etc... ... and most of them are lack
of documentation.

But, if you love to do it not in full time basis, for hobby, Jetspeed is
good.

I am afraid when Jetspeed will involve with BOB (Best of Breed), there will
be 3 player in IT (BOB, IBM, and Microsoft).

Frans
Posted by Donald Bell <ds...@directvinternet.com>.
IBM's WebSphere Portal Server requires WebSphere Application server 3.5.4,
however I believe it comes with a license for the application server with
the purchase of Portal Server to be used by Portal Server.  I am not sure,
but I am sure your IBM rep would know.

I personally think installing IBM's Portal Server would be easier since it
has install scripts and it initializes your database and LDAP.  It also has
documentation which is still lacking with Jetspeed.

To get back to Saket's question of why would a person pick Jetspeed over
IBM's Portal Server I would say these three reasons:

1. Price - Jetspeed is free and IBM Portal Server is in the thousands of
dollars, but if you are an important guy/gal then your time is worth
something - so Jetspeed is not truely free.

2. All of Jetspeed's code is open source.

3. Jetspeed runs on other Application Servers besides WebSphere Application
Server.  There are rumors that IBM's Portal Server's new versions will run
on other Application Servers, but it is only WebSphere right now.

Hopes you find these helpful,

Donald Bell

>  I am trying to find out why should we use Jetspeed and not IBM portal
> Server.
>

>   1. Does Jetspeed has Netegrity Integerartion
>   2. Does Jetspeed has integeration with Interwoven or any other content
> management engine.
>   3. Does jetspeed had integeration with any search engine.
>

> Thanks
>  Saket Sharma

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>