Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2008/07/01 20:37:12 UTC

Re: OBR

Sounds good to me...we might quickly find, though, that we need to
revise how OBR reads the repository files, since currently it reads them
every time it starts...perhaps we could cache them for some
[configurable] time so that it doesn't have to go download repository
files all the time...still, I think it is a good idea..

Now we just need to finish up with what Clement created to generate our
desired Felix OBR repo...

-> richard

Re: OBR

Posted by Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@objectweb.org>.
Clement Escoffier a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Providing "automatic" OBR bundle descriptions is on the iPOJO roadmap (and
> is currently under development). It should describe service requirements /
> capabilities as well as provided and required handlers. The complex stuff
> comes from the differentiation between factories and instances (only
> instances require and provide services).
>
> Integrating these capacities inside Bindex or BND could be great.

Yeah, I like the pluggeable part :)
--G

RE: OBR

Re: OBR

Posted by Guillaume Sauthier <Gu...@objectweb.org>.

Re: OBR

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
This is good. The report looks very nice.

What we need is to document how to edit and generate the repo file for
new updates. Then I think we should start generating this file for new
bundle releases to our site and making it the default for our OBR repo URL.

-> richard

Re: OBR

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Clement Escoffier schrieb:
> [...]

Definitely agreeing here.

> Updating the repository file is simple when the obr.xml file describing the
> bundle is created (this file contains provided and required services, but
> can be used to contain any description). To update the repository, the
> following maven command works with the latest maven-bundle-plugin:
>

> mvn clean install org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin:deploy
> -Dprefix=http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ -DremoteOBR=releases.xml
> -DaltDeploymentRepository=local::default::file:/Users/clement/Documents/work
> spaces/ipojo-dev/releases

Ah, this is of course a great method, which is a simple command we can
easily document on our release building page. Thanks.

Regards
Felix

RE: OBR

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.

> Maybe we will discover missing parts over time and can fix those as we

> encounter them based on the concrete use case.

> As for feeding the repository.xml file on our site: I assume this will

> be one of the tasks to be done after a release has been voted. The

> release manager should update the repository.xml file.

> The easiest would be if we could run a maven plugin during release

> creation which creates a repository.xml fragment, which we may simple

> paste into the repository.xml file ?

I would prefer that we have some way of also automatically merging the

repo XML fragment too.`

Updating the repository file is simple when the obr.xml file describing the
bundle is created (this file contains provided and required services, but
can be used to contain any description). To update the repository, the
following maven command works with the latest maven-bundle-plugin:

mvn clean install org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin:deploy
-Dprefix=http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ -DremoteOBR=releases.xml
-DaltDeploymentRepository=local::default::file:/Users/clement/Documents/work
spaces/ipojo-dev/releases

Just change the deployment repository to use a non-local location. Remark
the prefix indicating the URL prefix to use for the deployed bundles. It
means that a repository can contain bundles from different maven
repositories. So this command update the OBR file and does not deploy the
bundle on a maven repository.

Once the repository is created, I have a simple checker (to improve)
checking the consistency of the generated OBR file. Basically, it checks the
self-consistency of the repository (see the generated HTML file).

Related to this is that I assume we will keep our previous versions

available in our repo, right? If so, I will likely implement a few

changes in the command-line interface for OBR to make it work a little

better when we have lots of different versions of the same bundle.

The described way just add or update the bundle description (an update
occurs only when the same symbolic-name/version is already present). If a
new version of the bundle is deployed, the description is added. So, we will
get several version of each bundles soon (I think it's already the case as I
deployed an old version of one bundle). I don't know if it's an issue right
now, but we'll be able to move older version to another repository file when
it'll become worthwhile.

Clement

> Regards

> Felix

>> Regards,

>> Clement

>>> Clement

>>> Hi,

>>> Sounds good. We could that simply by leveraging the Caching headers

>>> of the HTTP protocol, such as Last-Modified and ETag.

>>> Yes.

>>> Regards

>>> Felix

Re: OBR

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: OBR

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Clement Escoffier schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I set up an OBR containing some released of Felix bundles (mostly latest
> version). This repository is available on
> http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/obr-releases/releases.xml. The difference
> between the old one and this one is that this repository describes both
> packages capabilities/requirements and services capabilities/requirements.
> Moreover some custom capabilities are added to handle SCR bundles (requiring
> service.component.runtime), and iPOJO bundles requiring ipojo.handlers).

Cool ! Great work.

RE: OBR

> I go on my investigations about an OBR for Felix. I'm working on writing
> descriptions for all released bundles. Indeed, Bindex generate correctly
> package capabilities and requirement in term of package, but is not very
> useful about services. The maven-bundle-plugin allows to customize /
improve
> descriptions. So, my goal is to create these descriptions ASAP (and to try
> to discover these descriptions automatically). These descriptions will
> greatly help the deployment process as service requirements will be
computed
> as well as packages.

Yes, that would be a good idea.

Re: OBR

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Thanks for the update Niclas. Sounds like things are in motion.

Regarding a "thin" HTTP service...I am still looking for a volunteer. It
is one of the contribution ideas on the contributing page:

    http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/contributing.html

:-)

-> richard

p.s. That reminds me, other community members should add their own
suggestions to the community page so we can build up a good set of ideas
for people looking to contribute.

Re: OBR

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: OBR

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: OBR

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: OBR

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Clement Escoffier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I go on my investigations about an OBR for Felix. I'm working on writing
> descriptions for all released bundles. Indeed, Bindex generate correctly
> package capabilities and requirement in term of package, but is not very
> useful about services. The maven-bundle-plugin allows to customize / improve
> descriptions. So, my goal is to create these descriptions ASAP (and to try
> to discover these descriptions automatically). These descriptions will
> greatly help the deployment process as service requirements will be computed
> as well as packages.

Yes, that would be a good idea.

RE: OBR

> Sounds good to me...we might quickly find, though, that we need to
> revise how OBR reads the repository files, since currently it reads them
> every time it starts...perhaps we could cache them for some
> [configurable] time so that it doesn't have to go download repository
> files all the time...still, I think it is a good idea..

Sounds good. We could that simply by leveraging the Caching headers of
the HTTP protocol, such as Last-Modified and ETag.

> Now we just need to finish up with what Clement created to generate our
> desired Felix OBR repo...

Yes.

Regards
Felix

Re: OBR

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Richard S. Hall schrieb:
> Sounds good to me...we might quickly find, though, that we need to
> revise how OBR reads the repository files, since currently it reads them
> every time it starts...perhaps we could cache them for some
> [configurable] time so that it doesn't have to go download repository
> files all the time...still, I think it is a good idea..

Sounds good. We could that simply by leveraging the Caching headers of
the HTTP protocol, such as Last-Modified and ETag.

> Now we just need to finish up with what Clement created to generate our
> desired Felix OBR repo...

Yes.

Regards
Felix