Posted to user@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/06 05:15:21 UTC

ATTENTION - storm-user@googlegroups.com is now deprecated.

## Storm Users
Storm users should now send messages and subscribe to user@storm.incubator.apache.com.

## Storm Developers
Storm developers should now send messages and subscribe to user@storm.incubator.apache.com.

## Which list do I send/subscribe to?
If you are using a pre-built binary distribution of Storm, then chances are you should send questions, comments, storm-related announcements, etc. to user@storm.apache.incubator.org.

If you are building storm from source, developing new features, or otherwise hacking storm source code, then dev@storm.incubator.apache.org is more appropriate.

## What will happen with storm-user@googlegroups.com?
All existing messages will remain archived there, and can be accessed/searched here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/storm-user

New messages sent to storm-user@googlegroups.com will either be rejected/bounced or replied to with a message to direct the email to the appropriate Apache-hosted group.

- Taylor

Re: [storm-user] Re: ATTENTION - storm...@googlegroups.com is now deprecated.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Yes.  It is a requirement.

The basis of the requiring this is that the mailing lists are an archival
record of how design decisions were made (thus the saying that if it
doesn't happen on the list, it doesn't happen). This record is important
because it documents who contributed what, when and why.  That, in turn, is
important because of the Apache license standards.  In order to protect and
control the archival record, ASF requires that all mailing lists be handled
on Apache hardware.  Similar arguments apply to the master version control
system and to the master copy of all distribution artifacts.

Yes.  It can be a (small) pain.  No, it isn't a big deal to use the Apache
mailing lists.  Just as with the source control systems, there are
alternative interfaces available if you like.

The licensing rigor at Apache is a major factor, however, and rigor can't
be added retrospectively.  Such a requirement for rigor is also not shared
by external hosting services such as Google.  There isn't even a guarantee
that Google groups will be here next year (remember Reader?).

Many Apache products are very high profile and the development history of
some projects has been brought into court cases regarding intellectual
property and there are hints that certain groups have tried to inject
security faults by tampering with the development process (and not the ones
you hear about in the news lately).  If you think about the impact that
httpd, Tomcat, Lucene and Hadoop have, you begin to see why.

The hope is that Storm will join that group of key projects.

Thus the need to switch mailing lists.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Re: ATTENTION - stor...@googlegroups.com is now deprecated.

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
As Ted noted in his prior e-mail, moving to the Apache lists is required;
however, you will still be able to use GitHub.  It is true that we will
move the code to an Apache hosted Git instance, but that instance will be
mirrored to GitHub.

As an example, CouchDB was one of the pioneers of Git @ Apache and you can
see they are very active on GitHub  https://github.com/apache/couchdb.

Re: ATTENTION - sto...@googlegroups.com is now deprecated.

Posted by nathan leung <nc...@gmail.com>.
It's not the same as google groups but if you subscribe from a gmail
account and label everything with the same label it has a similar look and
feel, at least.

Posted by nathan leung <nc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

From:  Jon <jo...@gmail.com>
Date:  Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM
To:  <st...@googlegroups.com>
Cc:  <de...@storm.incubator.apache.org>, <us...@storm.incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: ATTENTION - stor...@googlegroups.com is now deprecated.

From:  Jon <jo...@gmail.com>
Date:  Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM
To:  <st...@googlegroups.com>
Cc:  <de...@storm.incubator.apache.org>, <us...@storm.incubator.apache.org>

Posted by Jon <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Kincaid <ki...@gmail.com>.

Re: [storm-user] ATTENTION - storm-user@googlegroups.com is now deprecated.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
My apologies, there was a typo in that email (.com should have been .org).

The links on the storm README.md and wiki are correct.

- Taylor

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.