Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Mike Coolin <mc...@techie.com> on 2012/03/15 19:37:12 UTC

Couchdb

Hello,

 Been doing alot of reading and experimenting with couchdb lately and will be using it in a few of my upcoming projects.

 I must say I find the project exciting and unique from any other offerings. For me it seems like the perfect fit.

 I've also been reading and listening about the couchdb and couchbase confusion, I have to say that initially it was confusing but a little deeper reading of both web sies it was obvious at least to me these are differing products.

 I did find some of Damien Katz's comments and action odd at first, but I think I understand where he's going.

 The couchDB website and wiki do need a refreshing, and some indication of direction would be nice to. I find that some of the new feature in 1.2 when I found them could be very exciting.

 I've been looking through the source code getting a better understanding of how things work and learning erlang. Would love to know how I could help out on this project.

 My two cents
 Mike

Re: Couchdb

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:37, Mike Coolin <mc...@techie.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  Been doing alot of reading and experimenting with couchdb lately and will
> be using it in a few of my upcoming projects.
>
>  I must say I find the project exciting and unique from any other
> offerings. For me it seems like the perfect fit.
>
>  I've also been reading and listening about the couchdb and couchbase
> confusion, I have to say that initially it was confusing but a little
> deeper reading of both web sies it was obvious at least to me these are
> differing products.

Great. I'm glad to hear it! Welcome!

>  The couchDB website and wiki do need a refreshing, and some indication of
> direction would be nice to. I find that some of the new feature in 1.2 when
> I found them could be very exciting.

It sounds like Noah has something up his sleeve for a simultaneous website
refresh with the 1.2 release. I think we just resolved the final bug report
blocking the next vote, so we're moving on that.

>  I've been looking through the source code getting a better understanding
> of how things work and learning erlang. Would love to know how I could help
> out on this project.
>
>  My two cents
>  Mike

As you pointed out, the wiki is always in need of love. If you sign up and
reply with your user name, I can add you to the contributor group so that
you can make edits. Unfortunately, we got tired of reverting spam so we
have this (very simple) barrier.

Another way to get started in the code is to check out the unresolved
issues. Currently we categorize the issues by approximate skill level
and/or code base familiarity.
Here are the open issues marked for new contributors (warning: long URL):

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+COUCHDB+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+%22Skill+Level%22+%3D+%22New+Contributors+Level+%28Easy%29%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC%2C+key+DESC

If you submit patches for any of those issues I will eagerly and happily
review them.

And of course, join us in #couchdb and/or #couchdb-dev on freenode and
introduce yourself if you haven't yet.

-Randall