Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Hohl, Gerrit" <g....@aurenz.de> on 2014/06/12 10:44:57 UTC

Complex Maven projects - Tutorials? Books?

Hello everyone, :)

I have a question which is not about a specific problem with Maven, but
more a general question.

I hope it is okay to ask this question here.

We use Maven and Jenkins for about 1.5 years now, I guess. Until now the
Maven projects have been very simple and - let's say - very monolithic.

But recently we identify more and more internal libraries in our
products. Of course we don't want to share this libraries by
copy-n-paste between the products - especially as we have Maven.

So we started to read books, tutorials on the Internet and so on. But
most of them only deal with simple projects. They don't cover e.g.
versioning the build process (especially if your build process consists
of more than just one step). They also don't cover the problems of
developing the libraries while your developing the products which depend
on them. Especially at the beginning your libraries will go through a
lot of changes. A few name snapshots as a solution, but don't explain
how you can work using them, how you can use them in your pom.xml and
how you deal with them if you finally switch your product and/or your
library from the snapshot state to the release state. A few also say
that you shouldn't use snapshots at all because it will result in many
problems (e.g. having -SNAPSHOT entries in your pom.xml). Nightly builds
or build triggered by the SCM are also an issue here.

Does someone know a good book or tutorial which handles all of these
issues around Maven and CI/CD in more depth?

Regards,

Gerrit