Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by mm...@ashland.com on 2004/05/05 23:29:49 UTC

Struts framework updating session scoped actionForm into session

If you have a session scoped ActionForm, when does the struts framework
create/update the ActionForm in session?  Is it possible to make the
framework update the ActionForm into session with every call to the Action,
or maybe just when data has changed?  Does the framework always use the
setAttribute method to update the ActionForm into session?

Here is the info behind my questions.  We have developed a Struts
application which runs on WebLogic 7.4.  We are running in a clustered
environment.  We are trying to make sure the application behaves properly
if we have a server failure and the application tries to fail over to a
secondary server.

WebLogic has a session replication mechanism which is triggered when an
object is created/updated in session with the setAttribute method.  When we
developed our application, we did store some state in our ActionForms and
therefore need to make sure they are replicated to ensure our application
is in a fail-safe state.  By my observation, it appears that the Struts
framework doesn't always update the ActionForm into session (But I would
like someone to confirm this).  If this is true, then will not be in a
fail-safe state.  I would rather not get into the business of writing code
to ensure the ActionForm is updated into session.  I am hoping Struts can
do this for us.

Any additional thoughts/information about using Struts with WebLogic in a
clustered environment would be welcomed.

Mike Mesler