Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/20 01:05:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache on a Non-Standard Port

Hi group,

I am new to apache and would like to host my own web
site using apache. The site is a personal site wherein
it will showcase mostly family related info, pictures
and other stuffs.

Most cable ISP's blocks port 80 so I bound my apache
using a Non-Standard Port which work. My question, is
there a way on the httpd.conf file to enable or to
configure so that people won't have to type in
http://www.my-site.com:8080 everytime they want to
access my site?

I tried accessing apache using http://www.my-site.com
but I only get server busy and could not get through.
Is there a better solution to this, or do I have to
deal with it by adding the non standard port on the
browser?

Hope someone would enlighten me on this one. Thanks in
advance.

Servie

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on a Non-Standard Port - follow-up question.

Posted by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently, I have paid a third party dns provider,
dyndns.org to do this and as a matter of fact, I have
configured my linksys router to do port forwarding to
port 8080 for example. Likewise, enabled DDNS Service
on the linksys router.

Now, everytime I check locally the site,
http://192.168.1.10:8090 for instance I could access
the site. And on the outside, could only access it
through www.my-site.com:8080 and not www.my-site.com?

My problem is, since I paid for the service with
dyndns.org. Could your suggestion also be done with
dyndns.org and using my linksys router? I don't see
any tabs about web forward in their site.

Has anyone done this at dyndns.org successfully before
I switch or make a domain transfer to zoneedit.com?

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.
Thanks again.

Servie

[users@httpd] Apache on a Non-Standard Port - Solved

Posted by InHisGrip <se...@yahoo.com>.
Hi folks,

Thanks guys on your inputs on my previous question.
Special mention to Mike and Jeetu.

Finally, I got it to work. Thanks a lot!

Servie

=== message truncated ===

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on a Non-Standard Port - follow-up question.

Posted by Mike <ad...@pacbell.net>.