Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Kevin O'Donnell <ke...@threebit.net> on 2003/07/18 23:35:59 UTC

Daemon Project; set_caps patch and Daemon interface bug notice.

Hi Commons - great work on the Daemon sandbox project.  I just put it
into production in my environment today.  I thought I would give some
feedback on a few issues I had:

    * I have no idea what "set_caps()" is for, but in my environment it
      was breaking everything.  I just commented it out and now it's
      working find.  Should there be an IFDEF added?  My patch is
      available here:
      http://threebit.net/tutorials/jakarta-daemon/set_caps.patch

      The two boxes I tried it on are both:
      # cat /etc/issue; uname -a
      Debian GNU 3.0
      Linux zedd.threebit.net 2.2.19 #1 Sat Jun 9 13:04:06 EST 2001 i686
      unknown

    * org.apache.commons.daemon.Daemon.init() defines a DaemonContext,
      but DaemonLoader is looking for  init(String[]).  Which is
      correct?  I got my stuff to work by defining my own interface
      (though, since reflection is used, I could have gotten away with
      no interface at all).
      http://threebit.net/tutorials/jakarta-daemon/src/net/threebit/daemonexample/DaemonFixed.java

    * Oh, and here's a miniscule example of a running service.
      http://threebit.net/tutorials/jakarta-daemon/src/net/threebit/daemonexample/SampleService.java

Cheers!
Kevin.

Re: Daemon Project; set_caps patch and Daemon interface bug notice.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Kevin O'Donnell" <ke...@threebit.net> wrote in message
> Hi Commons - great work on the Daemon sandbox project.  I just put it
> into production in my environment today.  I thought I would give some
> feedback on a few issues I had:
>
>     * I have no idea what "set_caps()" is for, but in my environment it
>       was breaking everything.  I just commented it out and now it's
>       working find.  Should there be an IFDEF added?  My patch is
>       available here:
>       http://threebit.net/tutorials/jakarta-daemon/set_caps.patch

I don't have access to a Debian box to investigate further.  If you could
investigate (or at least post what goes wrong), it would be very helpful.
At worst, we could change the configure scripts to detect Debian.

>       The two boxes I tried it on are both:
>       # cat /etc/issue; uname -a
>       Debian GNU 3.0
>       Linux zedd.threebit.net 2.2.19 #1 Sat Jun 9 13:04:06 EST 2001 i686
>       unknown
>
>     * org.apache.commons.daemon.Daemon.init() defines a DaemonContext,
>       but DaemonLoader is looking for  init(String[]).  Which is
>       correct?  I got my stuff to work by defining my own interface
>       (though, since reflection is used, I could have gotten away with
>       no interface at all).

http://threebit.net/tutorials/jakarta-daemon/src/net/threebit/daemonexample/
DaemonFixed.java

A common problem with OS projects:  The docs lag what it actually does.  The
daemon has been extended to support classes that don't implement Daemon
(such as jakarta-tomcat-5) by calling init(String []) in this case.  AFAIK,
the DaemonContext call should work as well if the class implements Daemon
(but since I use this for Tomcat mostly, I haven't tried recently).