Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by alphamanic <yo...@hotmail.com> on 2007/11/21 15:25:24 UTC

JAMES - 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: relaying denied

I'm trying to follow the quick start guide found at
http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesQuickstart. When I'm trying to send email
to my gmail account it's failing with the following error:
550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: relaying denied.

when I add gmail.com to the servernames in config.xml, the error goes away
but I cannot see that email in my gmail inbox.

Please help.

Cheers,

Yogesh

Re: JAMES - 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: relaying denied

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
alphamanic ha scritto:
> I'm trying to follow the quick start guide found at
> http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesQuickstart. When I'm trying to send email
> to my gmail account it's failing with the following error:
> 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: relaying denied.
>
> when I add gmail.com to the servernames in config.xml, the error goes away
> but I cannot see that email in my gmail inbox.

Do you want to be able to send through JAMES messages to any domain or
only messages to your gmail account?

In the latter case is ok to add gmail to the servernames and then add
mailets to do what you want with that domain, otherwise you have to make
sure the sender (you) is authenticated or is recognized as an authorized
source and is able to relay.

You can do that either by adding an account for you and using that
credential in your mail client SMTP auth settings, or you can make sure
you are connecting from an IP declared in the authorized addresses.

Stefano

RE: JAMES - 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: relaying denied

Posted by alphamanic <yo...@hotmail.com>.

That's correct.  And since you aren't gmail.com, forwarding to your gmail
account, e.g., using a virtual user table, would be the better solution.
 - How can I use virtual user table in James and where can I find more
information?

Check the mailet log to see if Remote Delivery sent it to gmail.  I'm
guessing that it didn't, since you claimed to be gmail.com.  Also, if you
are running in a DHCP pool, please note that Google (as with most mail
servers) is likely to refuse service from your IP address.
 -Any recommandation or workaround for this problem?

RE: JAMES - 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: relaying denied

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> When I'm trying to send email to my gmail account it's failing

>  550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: relaying denied.

> when I add gmail.com to the servernames in config.xml, the error goes away

That's correct.  And since you aren't gmail.com, forwarding to your gmail
account, e.g., using a virtual user table, would be the better solution.

> but I cannot see that email in my gmail inbox.

Check the mailet log to see if Remote Delivery sent it to gmail.  I'm
guessing that it didn't, since you claimed to be gmail.com.  Also, if you
are running in a DHCP pool, please note that Google (as with most mail
servers) is likely to refuse service from your IP address.

	--- Noel