Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Tushar Pathare <tp...@sidra.org> on 2016/10/15 09:56:48 UTC

Workaround or a quick fix for apostrophe search

Hello Team,
                    Is there a quick fix of workaround for non asci character parsing.I am specifically looking for an apostrophe search
Like as in

SELECT * from HISTORY_VALUE_D WHERE HISTORY_VALUE_NAME like 'Parkinson`s disease'

Much needed this fix as it can be a show stopper for us.

Thanks

Tushar B Pathare
High Performance Computing (HPC) Administrator
General Parallel File System
Scientific Computing
Bioinformatics Division
Research

"what ever the mind of man can conceive and believe, drill can query"

Sidra Medical and Research Centre
Sidra OPC Building
PO Box 26999  |  Doha, Qatar
Near QNCC,5th Floor
Office 4003 3333 ext 37443 | M +974 74793547
tpathare@sidra.org<ma...@sidra.org> | www.sidra.org<http://www.sidra.org/>

Disclaimer: This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this e-mail is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by using the reply function and then permanently delete what you have received. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Sidra Medical and Research Center.

Re: Workaround or a quick fix for apostrophe search

Posted by Tushar Pathare <tp...@sidra.org>.
Thanks a lot Jason for the immediate turn around
It worked marvel for us.

Tushar B Pathare
High Performance Computing (HPC) Administrator
General Parallel File System
Scientific Computing
Bioinformatics Division
Research

"what ever the mind of man can conceive and believe, drill can query"

Sidra Medical and Research Centre
Sidra OPC Building
PO Box 26999  |  Doha, Qatar
Near QNCC,5th Floor
Office 4003 3333 ext 37443 | M +974 74793547
tpathare@sidra.org | www.sidra.org <http://www.sidra.org/>

On 10/15/16, 7:12 PM, "Jason Altekruse" <ja...@dremio.com> wrote:

    It looks like what is in your string literal is not a single quote. If that
    is what you are looking for, you can include a single quote in a literal by
    escaping it with itself.

    0: jdbc:drill:zk=local> select 'Parkinson''s disease' from sys.version;
    +----------------------+
    |        EXPR$0        |
    +----------------------+
    | Parkinson's disease  |
    +----------------------+

    If you need a non-ascii character you can give unicode literals with this
    syntax, notice the U& before and the uescape '\' after the string literal

    0: jdbc:drill:zk=local> select U&'Parkinsons\2018s disease' uescape '\'
    from sys.version;
    +-----------------------+
    |        EXPR$0         |
    +-----------------------+
    | Parkinsons‘s disease  |
    1 row selected (0.125 seconds)

    Here is a list of characters similar to single quote that you can try [1],
    but you should be able to just copy-paste the character from your source
    data into some online tool to find the exact character code for it.

    [1] - https://www.cs.sfu.ca/~ggbaker/reference/characters/#single

    Jason Altekruse
    Software Engineer at Dremio
    Apache Drill Committer