Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Robert S. Thau" <rs...@ai.mit.edu> on 1995/09/13 23:27:17 UTC

Comments on current patches.

I just looked at the patches/for_Apache_0.8.13 directory.  A few comments:

First off, it looks to me like the 01* patches (in for_Apache_0.8.13) are
intended to fix the problem that the itime patch to mod_log_config which was
offered last time does not compile.  However, adding the extra include line
is pointless unless you also toss in the itime modification itself, which is
not included in either of these patches.  The right thing here is a *single*
patch (not two, not three) which, when applied to mod_log_config, creates a
new version which includes the itime patch *and* everything else needed to
make it compile cleanly in context.  As is, these patches just dink
mod_log_config without doing anything useful.

Second, there are a few things I don't understand about the SCO patch.

*) It increases the size of per-directory configuration vectors by
   adding the DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT which came in with last week's
   dynamic modules fix.  I'm not sure that this is necessary at all;
   per-directory configurations are generally created *after* all
   dynamically loaded modules are present and initialized.  If it
   is needed, it should probably be a separate patch.

*) It narrows the 'port' element of the server_rec structure from
   int to short.  Is this the right thing to do?

*) Finally, wrt the change to the Configure script, if you're going
   to delete the -s option to egrep, the egrep should be redirected into
   /dev/null; otherwise, when there are syntax errors, we'll get
   junk output in addition to the error message.

It would be nice if this could all get sorted out before the vote.

rst