Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/26 22:40:09 UTC

Incubator dependencies in Apache projects

Hi,

Here's another angle to the incubating release issue. We already
discussed this lately in relation to Apache FtpServer and the
JSecurity podling, see http://markmail.org/message/g23r7rvwvbzbn47z.
Some of the comments I found troubling were "You will probably not
release this code to an unsuspecting public anyway, will you?" and
"the actual bottom line is that if the MINA project wants to release
JSecurity as an *internal* dependency, that is the MINA project's
"problem" to support." Another troubling thing is that the question
even needed to be asked.

IMHO the only guidance that we give other projects about incubating
dependencies should be included in the required disclaimers and the
fact that we approve a release in the first place. After that it's up
to the other project to review and decide whether they want the
dependency or not.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Incubator dependencies in Apache projects

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Doug. We don't need explicit disclaimers. We can
> encourage them however to mention it somewhere appropriate.

+1. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Matthieu

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> We could even require TLP projects that have incubating dependencies
> to include a statement in their releases to that effect: "Should any
> of our incubating dependencies fail incubation, we (the TLP) will take
> responsibility for that code so as to continue supporting our users."

Why?

A TLP will obviously support it's users, but I don't see why it should
take responsibility for the codebase of a failed dependency. Of course
they can do so if it makes sense for the project, but that should not
(and IMHO can not) be a mandate from the Incubator.

For example, Apache Jackrabbit uses the PDFBox library as a dependency
to implement full text indexing of PDF documents. PDFBox is currently
incubating and Jackrabbit will most likely upgrade the dependency as
soon as PDFBox makes its first incubating release. However, there are
no PDF experts in Jackrabbit (that I know of) and there is no way
Jackrabbit could take over the PDFBox code, should PDFBox fail
incubation. Most likely Jackrabbit would just keep using the last
release until some other library with better PDF support appears.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26/09/2008, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 22:40 +0200, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Here's another angle to the incubating release issue. We already
>  > discussed this lately in relation to Apache FtpServer and the
>  > JSecurity podling, see http://markmail.org/message/g23r7rvwvbzbn47z.
>  > Some of the comments I found troubling were "You will probably not
>  > release this code to an unsuspecting public anyway, will you?" and
>  > "the actual bottom line is that if the MINA project wants to release
>  > JSecurity as an *internal* dependency, that is the MINA project's
>  > "problem" to support." Another troubling thing is that the question
>  > even needed to be asked.
>  >
>  > IMHO the only guidance that we give other projects about incubating
>  > dependencies should be included in the required disclaimers and the
>  > fact that we approve a release in the first place. After that it's up
>  > to the other project to review and decide whether they want the
>  > dependency or not.
>

> Exactly. I was writing something much the same. We could even require
>  TLP projects that have incubating dependencies to include a statement in
>  their releases to that effect: "Should any of our incubating
>  dependencies fail incubation, we (the TLP) will take responsibility for
>  that code so as to continue supporting our users."

That's an excellent idea.
It puts the onus where it belongs.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
> wrote:

>>> I wouldn't call Yoko *failed*. It didn't generate enough interest to
>>> go TLP, but did become a sub-project of Geronimo. Also, portions
>>> were
>>> donated to CXF. Seems like a *success* to me.
>>
>> I have to agree.   All parts of the Yoko codebase are now supported
>> and
>> enhanced in active projects.   That sounds like a success, not a
>> failure.
>
> So, there is a subproject in Geronimo which is essentially the Yoko
> codebase, released in a way so non-Geronimo users can consume that
> codebase?? If so, Excellent.

Yes. That's correct. The Yoko ORB is a Geronimo subproject. Yoko
committers were adopted into Geronimo. Yoko is released separately and
is being consumed by other projects (i.e. Apache Harmony).

> But the matter of fact is, that the
> STATUS page says "dissolved, with parts going to Geronimo and CXF",
> which implies a different story, and indeed says "Yoko didn't make
> it.", i.e. failure. Please call it for what it is, it IS Ok for
> podlings to end, dissolve, absorbed, evaporate and whatever other
> possible end-of-life we can imagine... Just because a podling fails,
> it doesn't mean that any particular person or group of persons fail.
> Two different things.

I wasn't involved with the wording of the Yoko status page, nor with
the resolution as they left incubator. Not familiar with why it was
worded in the way they were...

I don't think we need to debate semantics, here.  I think we're
largely in agreement. We're debating shades of grey, here... IMO,
"fail" is harsh description of the outcome.

--kevan

Re: Incubator dependencies in Apache projects

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Monday 29 September 2008 12:08:52 pm Kevan Miller wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> > Agreed. We've done this before and i bring it up yet again :)
>> >
>> > Geronimo PMC used Yoko, Yoko failed, they ended up absorbing most of
>> > the code.
>>
>> I wouldn't call Yoko *failed*. It didn't generate enough interest to
>> go TLP, but did become a sub-project of Geronimo. Also, portions were
>> donated to CXF. Seems like a *success* to me.
>
> I have to agree.   All parts of the Yoko codebase are now supported and
> enhanced in active projects.   That sounds like a success, not a failure.

So, there is a subproject in Geronimo which is essentially the Yoko
codebase, released in a way so non-Geronimo users can consume that
codebase?? If so, Excellent. But the matter of fact is, that the
STATUS page says "dissolved, with parts going to Geronimo and CXF",
which implies a different story, and indeed says "Yoko didn't make
it.", i.e. failure. Please call it for what it is, it IS Ok for
podlings to end, dissolve, absorbed, evaporate and whatever other
possible end-of-life we can imagine... Just because a podling fails,
it doesn't mean that any particular person or group of persons fail.
Two different things.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Incubator dependencies in Apache projects

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Incubator dependencies in Apache projects

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. We've done this before and i bring it up yet again :)

Geronimo PMC used Yoko, Yoko failed, they ended up absorbing most of the code.

-- dims