Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by List Mail User <tr...@Plectere.com> on 2006/04/12 01:19:33 UTC

Web page scraping software

	Hi,

	Is anyone here familiar with the web page email address scraping
software sold at: http://newsman.asp.be/featuresu.jsp ?

	I only found this because one of their programmers, subscribed to
this list (i.e. tomvo@absi.be), is running an "out-of-office" auto-responder
and spewing garbage for the past few days.  Oh well, I guess both spammers
and people who support them can subscribe to whatever they like.

	Paul Shupak
	track@plectere.com

Re: Web page scraping software

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 11, 2006 4:19 PM -0700 List Mail User
>
>>     Is anyone here familiar with the web page email address scraping
>> software sold at: http://newsman.asp.be/featuresu.jsp ?
>
>> From that page:
>
>> NewsMan Pro sends one message per recipient and shows the member name in
>> the to field of the email client.
>>
>> Each message can be personalized for each specific recipient using
>> templates.
>>
>> No more worries about being accused of sending SPAM when you can prove
>> that you've found the contact email on the recipient's web site!
>
> So a published address counts as "solicitation" to them?

Disclaimer: IANAL, this is not legal advice.

And would apparently be a perfectly legal practice under CAN-SPAM. Opt-out
marketing at its finest.

Re: Web page scraping software

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.