Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by David Parks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2013/03/23 07:59:47 UTC

For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

For a new installation of the current stable build (1.1.2 ), is there any reason to use the CheckPointNode over the BackupNode?

It seems that we need to choose one or the other, and from the docs it seems like the BackupNode is more efficient in its processes.

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
SNN(secondary name node),sorry for typo.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

RE: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

--
Harsh J

RE: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

--
Harsh J

RE: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

--
Harsh J

RE: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
David,

If the good copy on NFS exists post-crash of the NN, use that for
lesser/zero loss than the SNN which can be an hour old (checkpoint
period) by default. Thats the whole point for running the NFS disk
mount (make sure its softmounted btw, you don't want your NN to hang
if the NFS is hung).

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
David,

--
Harsh J

RE: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
yes,you got it. hadoop1.0.x cannot failover auto or mannual. you have to
copy fsimage from SNN to the primary NN.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
David,

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
David,

--
Harsh J

RE: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: For a new installation: use the BackupNode or the CheckPointNode?

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by varun kumar <va...@gmail.com>.