Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by tony yau <to...@virgin.net> on 2002/05/03 00:08:13 UTC

newbee: rmi callback from a servlet

since I'am not sure what is causing my particular problem I'am not sure that
this is the right group to ask this question, so please to bear with me.

I've got an RMI server and Tomcat 4.0 running separately on the same
machine. I' am trying to implement a RMI callback from within a Servlet but
I'm keep getting these errors:

 <<<
 Getting client data via rmi:
 looking up at : rmi://localhost:1099/MyRmiServer
 found remote object

 !Exception: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
         java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested
 exception is:
         java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Files/Apache
 java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested
 exception is:
         java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested
 exception is:
         java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Files/Apache
 java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested
 exception is:

         java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Files/Apache
 java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Files/Apache
         at
 sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(Unknown
 Source)
         at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(Unknown Source)
         at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(Unknown Source)

         at RmiServer_Stub.register(Unknown Source)
         at RmiClient.connectServer(RmiClient.java:130)
         at RmiClient.doGet(RmiClient.java:75)

here the code and the exception is the at remote.register() call where the
'remote' is the ref to the remote RMI server.

 public void connectServer()
 {
  try
      {
           remote = (IRadar1007Remote)Naming.lookup(bindName);
            System.out.println("found remote object");

       UnicastRemoteObject.exportObject( this );
        remote.register( this );
        System.out.println("register this client with the server");
  }

 I can run an RMI client outside of Tomcat with the above code with no
problems at all, but once inside a servlet the callbacks just won't work?
Have I missed something somewhere? Is there some setting in Tomcat to allow
RMI callbacks, etc?

Any hints or pointers will be very much appreciated

 Thanks in advance