Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/05 14:41:55 UTC

Re: Dynamic reloading of SSL certificates

Hello guys,

wonder if this thread went anywhere? Would be very neat to have a let's
encrypt integration (don't know if it would be a listener to declare to
have automatic reloading or just a flag on the SSL config but it would ease
deploying self hosted instances).

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> On 6/29/18 5:06 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

>> Ah! Those are only in 9.0.x. Are you looking at 8.5.x? It looks like a
>> back-port is required.
>
> Yes, sorry, I am indeed looking at 8.5.x. Back-ports would be greatly
> appreciated.

Done.

> As for the methods in Protocol + Connector, I'm okay keeping them in the
> ProtocolHandler classes for the reasons you mention. The only problem is
> that nobody will ever guess to look there, so we have to find a way to
> document that in a way that will direct people to look there for the
> appropriate runtime-related methods.
>
> I'll take a look at the users guide as I prep for my Let's Encrypt
> presentation for ApacheCon and hopefully make some improvements.

Sounds good.

Mark

Re: Dynamic reloading of SSL certificates

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 6/27/18 4:59 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Romain,
>>
>> On 6/27/18 11:50 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>>> up? any hope we have live reloading of certs in tomcat?
>>
>> Yup. Recent versions allow you to reload the SSLHostConfigs.
>>
>> I was getting ready to update my presentation on Let's Encrypt,
>> actually, so this was a good nudge to actually do that.
>>
>> I thought the operation would be exposed via JMX, but it does not
>> appear to be so. It's in the Manager application.
>>
>> Have a look at what ManagerServlet.sslReload() does.
>>
>> markt,
>
> Probably better to ask the dev list as a whole rather than just me. My
> view should carry the same weight as every one else's.

Agreed. I just knew that you happened to have written this code and
maybe you'd say something like ...

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Romain,
>
> On 6/27/18 11:50 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>> up? any hope we have live reloading of certs in tomcat?
>
> Yup. Recent versions allow you to reload the SSLHostConfigs.
>
> I was getting ready to update my presentation on Let's Encrypt,
> actually, so this was a good nudge to actually do that.
>
> I thought the operation would be exposed via JMX, but it does not
> appear to be so. It's in the Manager application.
>
> Have a look at what ManagerServlet.sslReload() does.
>
> markt,

Probably better to ask the dev list as a whole rather than just me. My
view should carry the same weight as every one else's.

(OK, being pedantic the committers views in theory carry more weight
because they can veto a change but in practise if anyone feels that
strongly about an issue then it probably needs more discussion.)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1 for connectors IMHO

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

#3 doesn't make much sense, since SSLHostConfigs are the ones that
were loaded, and presumably will be replaced when a "reload" happens.

#2 would work fine, except that:

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.