Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/06/07 17:38:27 UTC

[SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> As mentioned I want to see the ability to work offline in the users
>> preferred tool (a requirement of my work on the Digital Divide). Maybe
>> we can make your wish come true eventually, the way I see it is we
>> need to make Lenya use SVN as a repository. But that will come much
>> later I am sure.
>

> indeed, that dovetails with the outline i posted at
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lenya-dev/200505.mbox/%3c4293FE22.3050000@apache.org%3e

Excellent. I think I can try and summarise this thread and lay out a
course of action.

a) The Lenya team host a version of Lenya in their Zone for the use of
Forrest (whether this means a separate instance or a publication within
your own documentation instance is up to you).

b) Forrest work on the static publication part (locationmap + views +
forrestbot)

c) We get Lenya writing to SVN in order to allow people to use their
preferred tools to edit rather than be forced to use a web interface

d) we experiment in order to find the correct access rights and
publishing workflow

e) we take this solution to infra@a.o as a potential apache wide effort

Does this sound OK?

Ross

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 16:12 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> > Excellent. I think I can try and summarise this thread and lay out a
> > course of action.
> >
> > a) The Lenya team host a version of Lenya in their Zone for the use of
> > Forrest (whether this means a separate instance or a publication within
> > your own documentation instance is up to you).
> >
> > b) Forrest work on the static publication part (locationmap + views +
> > forrestbot)
> >
> > c) We get Lenya writing to SVN in order to allow people to use their
> > preferred tools to edit rather than be forced to use a web interface
> >
> > d) we experiment in order to find the correct access rights and
> > publishing workflow
> >
> > e) we take this solution to infra@a.o as a potential apache wide effort
> >
> > Does this sound OK?
> >
> > Ross
>
> +1
>
> lenya devs?

+2 (for lenya and forrest) ;-)

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Well, I think Andreas should. If we want to get started then we should
> start with
> people involved from the very beginning.

absolutely

> Well, maybe it would help if we could organize a "Sprint" over IRC.

ok

> I am bit confused who is actually going to work now on the search task,
> because
> I got/saw various requests, e.g. Robert Goene, Greg Lee, ...

the best proposal will be selected.

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>> +1 whereas I would mention that in order to do so we could start a
>> "Lenya Forrest publication" within the Lenya sandbox
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/
>

> andreas already started, but hasnt checked it in yet.

Well, I think Andreas should. If we want to get started then we should
start with
people involved from the very beginning.

> speaking of sandbox, i think it would be good if you commited your
> nutch experiments there to help the summer of code participants

there is no real code which would make sense for Lenya yet, just
experience and ideas I was collecting, but which I was to turn into real
code ;-)

Well, maybe it would help if we could organize a "Sprint" over IRC.

I am bit confused who is actually going to work now on the search task,
because
I got/saw various requests, e.g. Robert Goene, Greg Lee, ...

Maybe someone can enlighten me ;-)

Thanks

Michi

Michael Wechner

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Excellent. I think I can try and summarise this thread and lay out a
>> course of action.
>>
>> a) The Lenya team host a version of Lenya in their Zone for the use
>> of Forrest (whether this means a separate instance or a publication
>> within your own documentation instance is up to you).
>>
>> b) Forrest work on the static publication part (locationmap + views +
>> forrestbot)
>>
>> c) We get Lenya writing to SVN in order to allow people to use their
>> preferred tools to edit rather than be forced to use a web interface
>>
>> d) we experiment in order to find the correct access rights and
>> publishing workflow
>>
>> e) we take this solution to infra@a.o as a potential apache wide effort
>>
>> Does this sound OK?
>>
>> Ross
>

> +1
>
> lenya devs?

+1 whereas I would mention that in order to do so we could start a
"Lenya Forrest publication" within the Lenya sandbox

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/

WDYT?

Michi

Michael Wechner

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 16:12 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> > Excellent. I think I can try and summarise this thread and lay out a
> > course of action.
> >
> > a) The Lenya team host a version of Lenya in their Zone for the use of
> > Forrest (whether this means a separate instance or a publication within
> > your own documentation instance is up to you).
> >
> > b) Forrest work on the static publication part (locationmap + views +
> > forrestbot)
> >
> > c) We get Lenya writing to SVN in order to allow people to use their
> > preferred tools to edit rather than be forced to use a web interface
> >
> > d) we experiment in order to find the correct access rights and
> > publishing workflow
> >
> > e) we take this solution to infra@a.o as a potential apache wide effort
> >
> > Does this sound OK?
> >
> > Ross
>
> +1
>
> lenya devs?

+2 (for lenya and forrest) ;-)

salu2

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Excellent. I think I can try and summarise this thread and lay out a
> course of action.
>
> a) The Lenya team host a version of Lenya in their Zone for the use of
> Forrest (whether this means a separate instance or a publication within
> your own documentation instance is up to you).
>
> b) Forrest work on the static publication part (locationmap + views +
> forrestbot)
>
> c) We get Lenya writing to SVN in order to allow people to use their
> preferred tools to edit rather than be forced to use a web interface
>
> d) we experiment in order to find the correct access rights and
> publishing workflow
>
> e) we take this solution to infra@a.o as a potential apache wide effort
>
> Does this sound OK?
>
> Ross

+1

lenya devs?

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Excellent. I think I can try and summarise this thread and lay out a
> course of action.
>
> a) The Lenya team host a version of Lenya in their Zone for the use of
> Forrest (whether this means a separate instance or a publication within
> your own documentation instance is up to you).
>
> b) Forrest work on the static publication part (locationmap + views +
> forrestbot)
>
> c) We get Lenya writing to SVN in order to allow people to use their
> preferred tools to edit rather than be forced to use a web interface
>
> d) we experiment in order to find the correct access rights and
> publishing workflow
>
> e) we take this solution to infra@a.o as a potential apache wide effort
>
> Does this sound OK?
>
> Ross

+1

lenya devs?

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>It sounds brilliant.
>>
>>Indeed!
>>

>>>The part that i like most is that each project
>>>is focussing on their own tools, we are not duplicating, and we are
>>>collaborating.
>>
>>David, it seems Ross cracked open the coconut [1] and we now have
>>opensource nirvana. Cool beans! :-)
>>
>>[1] Since sayings are so different from place to place, I am inventing
>>my own, so all will be equally disoriented ;-)
>

> Yes, i do get your drift (i.e. know what you mean).
>
> Hey Ross, do coconut milk and Whiskey mix? If so then i'll buy you
> one or two at ApacheCon. If not, then still, name your poison.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a snob [1] when it comes to whiskey - nothing
but a splash of water in the best single malt available is all that will
do. However, coconut water and rum, now that works well, is much
cheaper, and I don't have to be snobbish about it ;-)

(incidentally, Nicola, I'm afraid I heard that saying in Trinidad - it
refers to being totally parched in the sun with nothing to drink but
Coconut Water, which can only be found in the green nuts, which are 40
feet in the air, still on the palm trees.)

Ross

[1] For the non-English speakers you may need this, snob is not a common
word, at least in the UK, anymore:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snob

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>Does this sound OK?
> >
> >It sounds brilliant.
>
> Indeed!
>
> >The part that i like most is that each project
> >is focussing on their own tools, we are not duplicating, and we are
> >collaborating.
>
> David, it seems Ross cracked open the coconut [1] and we now have
> opensource nirvana. Cool beans! :-)
>
> [1] Since sayings are so different from place to place, I am inventing
> my own, so all will be equally disoriented ;-)

Yes, i do get your drift (i.e. know what you mean).

Hey Ross, do coconut milk and Whiskey mix? If so then i'll buy you
one or two at ApacheCon. If not, then still, name your poison.

--David

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>Does this sound OK?
>
> It sounds brilliant.

Indeed!

> The part that i like most is that each project
> is focussing on their own tools, we are not duplicating, and we are
> collaborating.

David, it seems Ross cracked open the coconut [1] and we now have
opensource nirvana. Cool beans! :-)

[1] Since sayings are so different from place to place, I am inventing
my own, so all will be equally disoriented ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>As mentioned I want to see the ability to work offline in the users
> >>preferred tool (a requirement of my work on the Digital Divide). Maybe
> >>we can make your wish come true eventually, the way I see it is we
> >>need to make Lenya use SVN as a repository. But that will come much
> >>later I am sure.
> >
> >indeed, that dovetails with the outline i posted at
> >
> >http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lenya-dev/200505.mbox/%3c4293FE22.3050000@apache.org%3e
>
> Excellent. I think I can try and summarise this thread and lay out a
> course of action.
>
> a) The Lenya team host a version of Lenya in their Zone for the use of
> Forrest (whether this means a separate instance or a publication within
> your own documentation instance is up to you).
>
> b) Forrest work on the static publication part (locationmap + views +
> forrestbot)
>
> c) We get Lenya writing to SVN in order to allow people to use their
> preferred tools to edit rather than be forced to use a web interface
>
> d) we experiment in order to find the correct access rights and
> publishing workflow
>
> e) we take this solution to infra@a.o as a potential apache wide effort
>
> Does this sound OK?

It sounds brilliant. The part that i like most is that each project