Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2008/04/10 21:37:03 UTC

List of projects others might want to work on

Recently on IRC, there was a request for a list of projects/areas that
noobie hbase developers could dig-in on.  I'm posting one such list here
in case others were wondering the same:

1. InfoServers' UI extension/revamp: Expose more server attributes and
counts, lists of regions by table, graphing of regionserver loading
history, etc
2. Help with mapfile rewrite: Experiment with
algorithms/format/compressions to improve the fundamental hbase building
block
3. Write a PIG loader for hbase and PIG LATIN scripts to do bulk table
upload and backup
4. Improve hbase performance/latency (core dev is currently focused on
robustness and scaling).
5. Build an hbsck tool, a tool to run common repairs to an hbase
install. Develop referential integrity to support this tool (Tool could
be written in java or even in groovy TBD).
6. Write clone of google app engine python datastore module

Ask here (or on IRC) if any questions about the above.
Thanks,
St.Ack

Re: List of projects others might want to work on

Posted by "Jim R. Wilson" <wi...@gmail.com>.
7. Support for TS in Mutation object to allow atomic row mutations
with different timestamps (needed for atomic clone, which is needed
for simplest possible rowkey alter ability)
8. Single jar with simplest possible hadoop/hbase/rest/thrift ready to
run on common architectures (for people who want to just try it out -
the 10 minute test)
9. phpHbaseAdmin - like phpMyAdmin, but for hbase ;) (requires the
ability to retrieve timestamp data from cells - rumored to be
available in 0.2)
10. APT packages for hbase/hadoop (apt-get install hbase)
11. Lucene/bloom filter layer on top of put/get/delete to allow
constantly updated search indexes (admittedly, a wild idea)

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)