Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Nyoman Ribeka <ny...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/09 19:25:55 UTC

Maven Build Checkstyle

Hi everyone,

My name is Win (from my middle name Winardi). I was in the Apache Drill
presentation at Oscon. I really like the presentation and I would like to
contribute to the project. :)

So I went through the Drill's JIRA and come to DRILL-134[1].

Attached is my take on the issue. The patch will add a sub-module
"build-tools" where the checkstyle configuration will be stored. This
approach I think will allow all other sub-module to inherit the same
configuration without the need to duplicate the same configuration into
every sub-module[2].

The patch will stop the maven build process when there are codes that
doesn't conform to the coding standard (defined inside
drill-checkstyle.xml). The checkstyle configuration is based on the
sun_checks.xml provided by default in the checkstyle distribution.

We can make the checkstyle to not-fail on checkstyle violation by changing
the goal from "check" to "checkstyle". We can also change the configuration
if we feel the configuration is too strict.

PS: Attached is the checkstyle result on the prototype/common sub-module :)

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-134
[2]
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/examples/multi-module-config.html

-Nyoman Ribeka

Re: Maven Build Checkstyle

Posted by Nyoman Ribeka <ny...@gmail.com>.
Most of the checkstyle message seems to be in the qualifier for methods and
javadoc. So, it should be pretty straight forward fix I think. Unless we
want to lax the checkstyle restrictions.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks and welcome to the community!
>
> For the output: yikes... guess that means we have a little work to do.
>  I have requested on INFRA the addition of a target version field.  I
> think this and DRILL-165 are required to be target to the alpha (0.1)
> release.

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Nyoman Ribeka <ny...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > My name is Win (from my middle name Winardi). I was in the Apache Drill
> > presentation at Oscon. I really like the presentation and I would like to
> > contribute to the project. :)
> >
> > So I went through the Drill's JIRA and come to DRILL-134[1].
> >
> > Attached is my take on the issue. The patch will add a sub-module
> > "build-tools" where the checkstyle configuration will be stored. This
> > approach I think will allow all other sub-module to inherit the same
> > configuration without the need to duplicate the same configuration into
> > every sub-module[2].
> >
> > The patch will stop the maven build process when there are codes that
> > doesn't conform to the coding standard (defined inside
> > drill-checkstyle.xml). The checkstyle configuration is based on the
> > sun_checks.xml provided by default in the checkstyle distribution.
> >
> > We can make the checkstyle to not-fail on checkstyle violation by
> changing
> > the goal from "check" to "checkstyle". We can also change the
> configuration
> > if we feel the configuration is too strict.
> >
> > PS: Attached is the checkstyle result on the prototype/common sub-module
> :)
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-134
> > [2]
> >
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/examples/multi-module-config.html