Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Heck, Bob" <bo...@eds.com> on 2007/10/18 17:37:08 UTC

Templates and t:body

I am really confused and in need of some clarification.

The templates documentation for Tapestry 5
(http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/tapestry-core/guide/templa
tes.html) shows this (direct copy/paste):

============================
The following example is a Layout component, that adds basic HTML
elements around the page specific content:

    <head>
        <title>My Tapestry Application</title>
    </head>
        <t:body/>

A page would use this component as follow:

<t:layout
xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_0_0.xsd">

  My Page Specific Content

</t:layout>

When the page renders, the page's template and the Border component's
template are merged together:

  <head>
    <title>My Tapestry Application</title>
  </head>
    My Page Specific Content
==============================

1.  I thought a layout component should start with t:layout, someone
please clarify if the first block is actually a layout component.

2.  I will assume (not sure this is correct, though) that the
introductory sentences are reversed and the layout component is actually
the second block, i.e.:

<t:layout
xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_0_0.xsd">

  My Page Specific Content

</t:layout>

And, the page is actually the first block, i.e.:

    <head>
        <title>My Tapestry Application</title>
    </head>
        <t:body/>

3.  Given that #2 assumption is correct, I still do not understand how
the page inserts the layout template in the body.  There is no id given
to the template, so where is the linking between the two? Is there a
specific name given to the template file?  If so, it is not explained or
even mentioned.

4.  The sentence "When the page renders, the page's template and the
Border component's template are merged together:" is confusing as well,
as I read elsewhere that there is no Border component in T5.

Am I missing something very basic here?  I just can't seem to get a
handle.  All I want to do is include menus/navigation in other pages,
does not seem like it should be that hard.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Re: Templates and t:body

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@thedailytube.com>.
Hi Bob,

Think of the element <t:layout> as a reference to your component, like
calling a method. The same goes for using <t:textfield> or any of the other
components, they just point to a component to run at that point of the page.
You can think of the contents of that element as an intrinsic parameter to
the component. The <t:body> element processes those contents, invoking any
components that might be contained. This allows you to choose where in your
layout html those contents are rendered.

A simpler, but related component might be one that rendered it's contents in
a box with a black border. You could create the box component like this:

Box.java (empty but currently required )
Box.tml
    xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_0_0.xsd">
 <t:body/>

Now within your other pages/components you could use it like this:

<t:box>This is in a box</t:box>

I hope this helps...
Josh

On 10/18/07, Heck, Bob <bo...@eds.com> wrote:

> <t:layout> and <t:body> are in two separate files.  How does that work?

TheDailyTube.com. Sign up and get the best new videos on the internet
delivered fresh to your inbox.

RE: Templates and t:body

Posted by "Heck, Bob" <bo...@eds.com>.

Re: Templates and t:body

Posted by Nick Westgate <ni...@key-planning.co.jp>.
In Tapestry (all versions) when you use the word "include" to
describe something, you should be thinking about components.

Either the header goes in your Border/Layout component, or you
make a header component which gets rendered in a Border.

The documentation for Tapestry's special t:body element is here:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-core/guide/templates.html

Also, regarding your earlier confusion:

 > 1.  I thought a layout component should start with t:layout, someone
 > please clarify if the first block is actually a layout component.

Imagine you were writing a textfield component with its own template.
In the component's html/tml template, would you start with <t:textfield>?
No. That's almost like recursion: a Textfield starts with a Textfield?

In any template, <t:componentName> invokes the _use_ of componentName.

Cheers,
Nick.

RE: Templates and t:body

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
I should type faster (and stop eating).  Lots of good responses to your
questions.

If all you want to do is include a header, then you don't need to use the
layout pattern, so header.tml can be something like:

<h1>some standard header</h1>

And that's it.

The layout pattern is handy if you want to be able to have things like
menus, or standard CSS files, and change the arrangement of your application
without modifying every page.  For example, you could move from a menu on
the left to a menu across the top by only changing your Layout component.  I
tend to us the Layout pattern for the long-term flexibility.

Jonathan

Re: Templates and t:body

Posted by Marcus <mv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bob,

Header.tml:
<head>....</head>

<t:body/>   <!--  This tag will render your Hello.tml -->

Hello.tml:
<t:Header xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_0_0.xsd">
Hello Word!
</t:Header>

Marcus

RE: Templates and t:body

Posted by "Heck, Bob" <bo...@eds.com>.
Ok Found the answer as to why this was not working.

This may be trivial to seasoned users, but a hard catch for a newbie.

For components, such as the Header we have been talking about, the .java file AND the .tml file need to both reside in the components package.  I had been putting the .tml file in the webroot and the .java for the component in components.   Moved the .tml to components package and it works now.

Bob

Posted by "Heck, Bob" <bo...@eds.com>.
Ok, still have a problem.  No error, just no header rendered.

Here is my Header.java file:

package try.tapestry.components;

public class Header {

	public Header()
	{

	}
}

Here is my Header.tml file:

<h1>This is a header</h1>

Here is my Start.tml

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Hello World Title</title>
</head>
<t:Header />
Hello world. Start.

Here is my Start.java

package try.tapestry.pages;

public class Start {

	public Start ()
	{

	}
}

Re: Templates and t:body

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

RE: Templates and t:body

Re: Templates and t:body

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@thedailytube.com>.

RE: Templates and t:body

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
It worked for me.  Make sure you have created a Header class in your
components package.

My .java files are bare class declarations, so here are my .tml files:

Hello.tml

<t:header />

Header.tml

<H1> test header</H1>

The resulting page source:

<head><link href="/assets/tapestry/default.css" rel="stylesheet"
<H1> test header</H1>

It also works whether you use t:header or t:Header.

RE: Templates and t:body

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.
Hi Jonathan,

RE: Templates and t:body

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.

RE: Templates and t:body

Posted by "Heck, Bob" <bo...@eds.com>.

Re: Templates and t:body

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.
Something interesting: if <t:body></t:body> you will get some runtime
warning, but <t:body /> everything's fine.

Re: Templates and t:body

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: Templates and t:body

Posted by Matheus Eduardo Machado Moreira <ma...@gmail.com>.
    Hi, Bob.

    When the specific.tml page is requested, Tapestry asks its components to
render themselves to generate the response. So, when <t:layout> on
specific.tml is asked to generate content, it knows that its body is "My
Page Specific Content". The content written by the component is:

    <head>
        <title>My Tapestry Application</title>
    </head>
        <!-- my comment: t:body is replaced by the actual body -->
        My Page Specific Content

    So, you don't have to inject anything. The component knows what its body
is and know that it must be placed where <t:body> appears.

    Atenciosamente,

Matheus Eduardo Machado Moreira
matheus.emm@gmail.com

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
        Salvor Hardin (The Foundation, Isaac Asimov)

RE: Templates and t:body

RE: Templates and t:body

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
Bob,