Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Andy J <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/05 16:25:42 UTC

Error in menus documentation?

If it's not an error, it's at least confusing.  On menus and linking
(http://forrest.apache.org/docs/linking.html#menu_generation) the
example refers to an image where the How-To Samples is supposed to
appear on the Community tab below the About menu item.  This is the
case for the second following image but not the image immediately
following the example so that seems confusing.  Or am I just not
following the example?

- Andy

Re: Error in menus documentation?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Andy J wrote:
> <snip/>
> >As a return favor, I'll offer you this suggestion: don't visit the
> >"user" mailing list.
>
> David, Ross, Nicola Ken, Antonio, Thorsten and whoever from
> the "dev" list: please do *not* leave the user's list!
>
> Users profit from your deep knowledge.
> You profit from user feedback to improve forrest further!
>
> Thank you all for your support!

Thanks for thinking to thank us.

Nobody fear, we have not even considered any such thing.

We are *committed* to this project (== user && dev).

--David

Re: Error in menus documentation?

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
Andy J wrote:
<snip/>
> As a return favor, I'll offer you this suggestion: don't visit the
> "user" mailing list.

David, Ross, Nicola Ken, Antonio, Thorsten and whoever from
the "dev" list: please do *not* leave the user's list!

Users profit from your deep knowledge.
You profit from user feedback to improve forrest further!

Thank you all for your support!

Johannes

> Then us "users" (just me at this time but I'm
> assuming they're are more that have been chased away) can learn it the
> old-fashioned way.  In the end, if we haven't walked away in disgust,
> we'll know the internals and what Forrest can do for us.
>
> - Andy
>
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:04:31 +1100, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Andy J wrote:
>>
>>>I'd be happy to contribute in that way (it's one way that I might be
>>>able to help).  As soon as I know which way is up in Forrest!:)
>>
>>This is intended as a constructive comment ...
>>If you don't yet understand how the Forrest internals work,
>>then you should probably not be messing with advanced topics
>>like aggregation and project sitemaps.
>>
>>--David

Ludwigsburg
Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

Burmester
www.user-interface-tuning.de

Attraktivität von interaktiven Produkten messen mit
www.attrakdiff.de

Re: Error in menus documentation?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Absolutely. Thanks for taking the time to express that Ross.

The issue that i was trying to address, is that when people
jump in at the deep end of the pool, and start to flounder,
it adversely affects the whole user and developer community.

--David

Re: Error in menus documentation?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Andy J wrote:
> Thanks for the constructive criticism.  Actually, I don't agree with
> that comment (I hope you at least agree that I can disagree with your
> sentiment).  I'm trying to learn Forrest.  Do you think this should
> happen overnight?  Shouldn't there be someplace for a new user to
> turn?
>
> As a return favor, I'll offer you this suggestion: don't visit the
> "user" mailing list.  Then us "users" (just me at this time but I'm
> assuming they're are more that have been chased away) can learn it the
> old-fashioned way.  In the end, if we haven't walked away in disgust,
> we'll know the internals and what Forrest can do for us.

Andy, I really think you have misinterpreted David's comments here. He
is simply suggesting that starting to learn Forrest at the beginning,
with the basic concepts first and then progressing to the advanced
topics would probably result in a more productive experience on your
part. This was observed because you appear to be doing some advanced
customisation of your project before understanding the basic menu
generation system, you said yourself that you can't create a screenshot
because you currently don't know "which way is up in Forrest". David is
merely suggesting that getting a solid understanding of the basic
Forrest functionality would be a good precursor to creating advanced
customisations.

I can assure you that his comment was in no way meant as a criticism, he
even tried to make this clear in his response. As with all email
communication one needs to think carefully about the real intent of the
author, there is no "tone of voice" to guide interpretation and there
can often be language barriers as well. Trust me, the Forrest community
is one of the most welcoming you will find, and David is one of the most
constructively helpful readers of this user list.

Lets get on with using and improving Forrest.

Ross

Posted by Andy J <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy J <se...@gmail.com>.