Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Veronika Schindler <ve...@pisquaredover6.de> on 2019/05/06 13:00:43 UTC

Introduction Veronika

Hey everyone!
Chris won me over to PLC4X :)
I will set out to optimize the requests to a plc, so that request and
response size are optimally used.
Veronika

Re: Introduction Veronika

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi All,

first of all, a very warm welcome Veronika :-)
Really happy I managed to spark her interest. I know I tried working on this multiple times, but I always noticed my brain isn't wired the right way for that ;-)
Data-Scientists are much better at such problems ...

@Julian Feinauer ... nope ... no jira yet, but we should create one ... I'll take care of that.

And to all others, please let me explain a little more what Veronika is going to try to do:

Almost all protocols support asking for multiple items in one request. However the size of a request is usually limited.

Now there are multiple possible optimizations possible:
- Aggregate items that are close to each other (Instead of reading multiple bytes which are located in close proximity, load one byte array instead)
- Rearange the items so request and response are filled to the maximum
- Split the request up into multiple requests

For the S7 driver I had implemented the last part, but not the others.

Instead of implementing this for one protocol (as I did for S7) she's going to try to implement this in a generic fashion so we can add this as a layer in all Java drivers (can port things to other languages later). Currently all protocols except s7 read each item in a single request, which is highly imperformant.

Really looking forward to this feature :-)

Chris

Am 06.05.19, 15:03 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

    Hi Veronika,

    happy to hear from you (Chris announced since day one that you will come one day to solve this problem).
    So I guess his prophecy just came true!

    Really looking forward to your code as there are also some other optimizations we would like to do (like collapsing identical fields in requests and so).
    And your work will be an excellent first step!

    Julian

    PS: @Chris: do we have a Jira for that? If not, I can create one

Re: Introduction Veronika

Re: Introduction Veronika

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Yes, I will never forget the day when I discovered that... I accidentally even left the train on the wrong station as I was to amazed / confused :D

Am 06.05.19, 15:29 schrieb "Veronika Schwan" <ve...@pisquaredover6.de>:

    No, I'm not doing number theory. I come from physics, but now I am in
    computer science/ data science. But ever since my calculus professor
    pulled this number out of the hat, I was fascinated :)

Re: Introduction Veronika

Posted by Veronika Schwan <ve...@pisquaredover6.de>.

Re: Introduction Veronika