Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Disc Magnet <di...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/22 14:57:50 UTC

Is Lucene good to maintain metadata in a hierarchical manner?

Hi,

I want to know whether Lucene is good for a situation like this:

We need to store metadata about various users of our application in this format.

1. Name
2. Time of registration
3. Other details

The users are divided into various classes, e.g. prospective customer,
customer, employee, etc.

In a file system approach, one would create a folder for each class
and put the details of each user as a file in the correct folder.
Another approach would be to have a file for each class and put the
details of each user as a record in the file. Then we would run the
Linux commands like grep, sed, awk, etc. to search through the files
and select the information we want.

I am wondering if Lucene is good enough for such a problem. If yes,
what advantages does it offer over RDBMSes. Also, what is more suited
to the problem I have mentioned: Lucene or Solr?

Re: Is Lucene good to maintain metadata in a hierarchical manner?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I don't see any problems from your brief description. There are
some considerations if you expect to update the information
really, really, really frequently, but those are discussed
in many threads in the archive....

But without more details on how you want to use the data, it's
pretty hard to answer.

Erick

Posted by Jürgen Jakobitsch <ja...@punkt.at>.
hi,

i'd go for RDF

check out LucenSail (http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/LuceneSail)

or our alpha @ turnguard.com/tuqs

which is a quad store based on lucene, with high speed (lucence) data retrieval capabilities

you would have your metadata in rdf ( :) where it belongs) and have a fully searchable lucene index.

wkr www.turnguard.com/turnguard

[...]

punkt. netServices
Jürgen Jakobitsch
Codeography