Posted to test-dev@perl.apache.org by Stig <th...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/10 14:31:51 UTC

[Fwd: [rt.cpan.org #54476] Skip mod_fcgid.c in Apache::TestConfig (/lib/Apache/TestConfigParse.pm)]

Hello and Thanks for Apache:Test 1.30,

If you run the tests as a non root user and the httpd.conf file you
inherit from is using mod_fcgid.c (version 2.1 and above, I'm using
mod_fcgid-2.3.4), and httpd has suexec, then httpd will fail with:

[emerg] mod_fcgid: current user is not root while suexec is enabled,
exiting now

This resulted in the httpd instance being in a bad state and not
responding to the requests made by Apache::Tests tests.

Here is the change I made to line 183 of lib/Apache/TestConfigParse.pm
in 1.30

<< my @autoconfig_skip_module = qw(mod_jk.c mod_casp2.c mod_bwshare.c);
>> my @autoconfig_skip_module = qw(mod_jk.c mod_casp2.c mod_bwshare.c
mod_fcgid.c);

Hope this is of some use,
Cheers

Peter (Stig) Edwards

Related:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=1192153501.30624.1215466817%40webmail.messagingengine.com

Re: [Fwd: [rt.cpan.org #54476] Skip mod_fcgid.c in Apache::TestConfig (/lib/Apache/TestConfigParse.pm)]

Posted by Stig <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Coincidentally, the bad state with this configuration (nice way to say
> "continuous restart until manual intervention") is improved in
> 2.3.6-dev; Apache now terminates.

Thanks, good to know.

> Hmmm...  I wouldn't relish that for my own testing but I see the
> general benefit, at least until some mod_fcgid tests are added to the
> httpd test suite.

Adding mod_fcgid.c to @autoconfig_skip_module could be guarded with
a check for (non root) or even (non root and suexec).  Sorry I didn't code
this up (all httpd I'm using are suexec, and I'm not running as root), but
I'm
happy to help test a RC.

Re: [Fwd: [rt.cpan.org #54476] Skip mod_fcgid.c in Apache::TestConfig (/lib/Apache/TestConfigParse.pm)]

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Stig <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=54476
>
> Hello and Thanks for Apache:Test 1.30,
>
> If you run the tests as a non root user and the httpd.conf file you
> inherit from is using mod_fcgid.c (version 2.1 and above, I'm using
> mod_fcgid-2.3.4), and httpd has suexec, then httpd will fail with:
>
> [emerg] mod_fcgid: current user is not root while suexec is enabled,
> exiting now
>
> This resulted in the httpd instance being in a bad state and not
> responding to the requests made by Apache::Tests tests.

Coincidentally, the bad state with this configuration (nice way to say
"continuous restart until manual intervention") is improved in
2.3.6-dev; Apache now terminates.  (Looking at what suexec-enabled +
non-root startup means generally -- i.e., for more than just mod_fcgid
-- is "on my list.")