Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by leerho <le...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/23 01:55:43 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-java 1.2.0-incubating-RC2

Hello IPMC and Apache DataSketches Community,

1. This is a call for vote to release Apache DataSketches-java version:
 1.2.0-incubating-RC2

    NOTE 1: This is the core Java component of the DataSketches library
that includes all the sketch algorithms in production-ready packages. These
sketches can be called directly from this component or used in conjunction
with the adaptor components such as Hadoop Pig, Hadoop Hive, or the
aggregator adaptors built into Apache Druid.

    NOTE 2: This release contains some signifiant merge speed performance
improvements. See datasketches.apache.org web site for more details.

  A. Results from the PPMC vote:

     - 1 (+1 binding) vote, 2 (+1 non-binding) votes

     - The vote thread can be found at the Permalink:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rcd938a0dcc74e5284cf2cb6d4eca268aafb143840f52ed7ac4bd6956%40%3Cdev.datasketches.apache.org%3E

  B. Testing/actions/votes performed by the voters in the PPMC Stage 1:

    - Alexander Saydakov (+1 non-binding)
      Checked:
      - verified signature and sha512 hash
      - mvn install

    - Jon Malkin (+1 non-binding)
      - verified signature and shasum
      - ran tests successfully
      - mvn install successfully

    - Furkan Kamachi (+1 binding)
      I checked:
      - Incubating in name
      - DISCLAIMER-WIP exists
      - LICENSE and NOTICE are fine
      - No unexpected binary files
      - Checked PGP signatures
      - Checked Checksums
      - Code compiles and tests successfully run

2. Source repository:
    - https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-java

    Git Tag for this release:
    -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-java/tree/1.2.0-incubating-RC2
on branch 1.2.X-incubating

    Git HashId for this release starts with: 97552af

3. The Release Candidate / Dist (Zip Repository):
    -
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/java/1.2.0-incubating-RC2/

    The public signing key can be found in the KEYS file:
    - https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/KEYS

    The artifacts have been signed with --keyid-format SHORT : 8CD4A902

4. Repository: [Nexus](http://repository.apache.org) (Jar Artifacts):
    -
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/datasketches/datasketches-java/1.2.0-incubating/

5. Build & Test Guide:
    -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-java/blob/1.2.0-incubating-RC2/README.md

6. This vote is the 2nd stage vote:
   - This voting process will remain open for at least 72 hours
     and until at least 3 (+1) IPMC votes or a majority of (+1) are
acquired.

Please vote accordingly:

    [ ] +1 approve
    [ ] +0 no opinion
    [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thanks,
Lee Rhodes
leerho@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-java 1.2.0-incubating-RC2

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Hello IPMC,
This is a gentle reminder that we need one more IPMC member to vote on this
thread.  We have one more day to go :)

Thanks,
Lee.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Hello IPMC,

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Paul, If I am reading your error message correctly, it is finding a ":"
character in your file path somewhere.  This is a "reserved" character for
file names and for Java cannot appear in the path.  (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename).

So I'm not sure how to advise you to fix it.

Lee.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> It is my understanding that if a file has not been substantially changed,
> that it is not necessary to change the year on a Copyright notice every
> time the year rolls over.

INAL but under US law my understanding is:
- The copyright notice contains the word copyright or the symbol,  the year of publication, and the name of the owner.
- It’s not required to state this and protection is automatic.
- it the year is wrong and it’s before the data of publication the data of publication is taken.
- if the year is out by more than one year then the notice is considered invalid.

See 405 and 406 of [1] and [2].

So does it really matter? Probably not as we’ll be dead long before copyright expires but it best to put the year(s) of publication.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title17/chapter4&edition=prelim
2. http://www.quizlaw.com/copyrights/what_happens_if_there_is_an_er.php

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-java 1.2.0-incubating-RC2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> If you look at these NOTICE files: for Hadoop, it is still dated 2006;
> Spark is dated 2014;

Spark and Hadoop license and notice files, are for a a number of reasons. poor examples to copy, please don’t copy what they do.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-java 1.2.0-incubating-RC2

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
IANAL, but I think for an individual file your analysis is correct, i.e. no
change required if no substantive change to the file.
For the NOTICE file, my understanding is that it represents a summary for
the entire release, so best to change.
I don't have a definitive reference to give you though to confirm that
understanding.
Someone with more knowledge might correct me or be able to provide such a
reference.
I agree that it isn't implemented consistently.

 Cheers, Paul.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.