Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Tom Sturgeon <ts...@inodeusa.com> on 2001/04/26 20:11:38 UTC

Cannot login to RemoteAdmin

I set the admin password in the JAMES.conf.xml file, as well as the DNS
server.

I telnet to localhost port 4555 and enter the user name 'root' and the
password 'password'.

Login gets reject every time.

Any ideas?

Re: Cannot login to RemoteAdmin

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 08:39:24PM +0100, Danny Angus wrote:
> beware that you've put you  password and dns setting in the right bit of the
> file, I initially altered the big comment at the top of the file, not the
> part that does the job. DoH! :-)

Don't be feeling down, I did that too... :-)
Attempted for several times, and kept wondering why James was so difficult
to configure.

BTW, has anyone tried to attach large sizes attachments on the emails...? I
did, and I think James has to have better exception handlers; when the mail
server has to handle large attachments (> ~300Kbytes), it just prints out
the exceptions and then stops. It's an unacceptable behavior, I believe; the
server has to continue to run, especially if the problems were raised by the
communications via ports 25 and 110 (any messages that got sent to the ports
shouldn't be able to shut the mail server down). There's no guarantee that
the users would use Outlook Express and turn on the auto-split feature.

The other day, I tried to attach the JDK tar file to an email and sent it to
an other machine via Sendmail; there was no problem. And I used Pine for
sending the email, and Pine has no auto-split feature; so the tar file was
sent in a big chunk (about 27Mbytes).

I encountered another problem. As I understand it, mail clients always
generate unique mail IDs for every email they send. But for any reason that
I'm not so clear, yesterday it just happened that the key field in the mail
repository (I use MySQL) got duplicated. The server then printed so many
messages repeatedly without any pause, so that I really had problem in
reading even a bit of the error messages.

Oki

RE: Cannot login to RemoteAdmin

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
some telnet clients wont work because of the unix/dos line endings
nonesense,  one sure fire way is to telnet from a linux box.