Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de> on 2003/03/05 12:28:35 UTC

Re: Localisation

You could set a group of forwards up, based on the locale ie

<forward name="this_en" path="/jsp_pages/out_en-jsp" redirect="true"/>
<forward name="this_de" path="/jsp_pages/out_de-jsp" redirect="true"/>
<forward name="this_ko" path="/jsp_pages/out_ko-jsp" redirect="true"/>

within <action/>

And you can then dynamically create the name from the selected action by the
client.

Or, better still, you could create a generic jsp, which calls all text by
tagged resources, and have a collection of resources for that page with all
the differing languages in. Allowing for easier updating of the page and
page content.

I use xslt, so I can't give you a jsp example, but there are some examples
of this in Programming Jakata Strus and a few on the web.

Cheers

Simon

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
In my opinion the message solution works and this solution is messy.

At 01:52 PM 3/5/03 +0200, you wrote:

> > You could set a group of forwards up, based on the locale ie
> >
> > <forward name="this_en" path="/jsp_pages/out_en-jsp" redirect="true"/>
> > <forward name="this_de" path="/jsp_pages/out_de-jsp" redirect="true"/>
> > <forward name="this_ko" path="/jsp_pages/out_ko-jsp" redirect="true"/>
> >within <action/>
>

>Does this mean  that someone has to implement a different .jsp for each
>language? I need to implement something similar and I'm not sure that I
>understand the answer. Don't you use the <bean:message> to display text in
>different languages? I'm I missing something here?
>James what is exactly the solution you are going to follow?
>
> > Cheers
> >
> > Simon
>
>Thank you in advance
>Konstantina

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: Localisation

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Just put the locale and other choices in the same form.

At 12:45 PM 3/5/03 +0100, you wrote:

> [...]

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: Localisation

Posted by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>.

Re: Localisation

Posted by James <Ja...@hotmail.com>.
ok simon.. thanks

RE: Localisation

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
This is effectively unreadable in my email.

At 06:06 PM 3/5/03 +0000, you wrote:

>This what I did:
>
>++++++++++++++ In the homepage page:
><%
>pageContext.setAttribute("URLPath", request.getRequestURL());
>%>
>
>++++++++++++++ or ++++++++++++++ In Struts Config: ++++++++++++++ In the
>SetLocaleAction: String language = httpServletRequest.getParameter("lg");
>String urlInput = httpServletRequest.getParameter("url"); Locale locale =
>(Locale) httpServletRequest.getSession().getAttribute(org.
>apache.struts.Globals.LOCALE_KEY);
>httpServletRequest.getSession(true).setAttribute(
>org.apache.struts.Globals.LOCALE_KEY, new Locale(language)); Locale
>newlocale = (Locale) httpServletRequest.getSession().getAttribute(org.
>apache.struts.Globals.LOCALE_KEY); int index =
>urlInput.indexOf(httpServletRequest.getContextPath()) +
>httpServletRequest.getContextPath().length(); return (new ActionForward(
>urlInput.substring(index), true)); -----Original Message----- > From:
>James [mailto:JamesPrance@hotmail.com] > Sent: 05 March 2003 20:28 > To:
>struts-user@jakarta.apache.org > Subject: Re: Localisation > > i'm not
>sure at the moment our current ' work around' is to only display > the >
>flags on the 'home' page which can be accessed via the menu. This way no >
>data entry is lost.. > > but i would prefer a way of doing it from any
>page and returning to the > same > page, preferably with no data entry
>loss (or validation).. > > > > > "Konstantina Stamopoulou" wrote in
>message > news:00ee01c2e30d$b2d579d0$412c7c92@intranet.gr... > > > > > > >
>You could set a group of forwards up, based on the locale
>ie > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >within > > > > > > Does this mean that
>someone has to implement a different .jsp for each > > language? I need to
>implement something similar and I'm not sure that I > > understand the
>answer. Don't you use the to display text > in > > different languages?
>I'm I missing something here? > > James what is exactly the solution you
>are going to follow? > > > > > Cheers > > > > > > Simon > > > > Thank you
>in advance > > Konstantina > > > > > > > ----- Original Message
>----- > > > From: "James" > > > To: > > > Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003
>8:11 PM > > > Subject: Localisation > > > > > > > > > > I have a
>LocaleActionClass that sets the locale according to which > wee > > >
>flag > > > > the user clicks, my question is how in the struts-config.xml
>do i > > specify > > > it > > > > to forward to the page they changed
>locale on (i.e their original > page). > > > > > > > >
>James > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

LEGAL NOTICE

you

RE: Localisation

Posted by Rabih Yazbeck <ra...@yahoo.co.uk>.
This what I did:

++++++++++++++ In the homepage page:
<%
pageContext.setAttribute("URLPath", request.getRequestURL());
%>

            <bean:message key="headermenu.jsp.english"/> </html:link>

            <bean:message key="headermenu.jsp.french"/> </html:link>

++++++++++++++ or

<c:param name="url" value="${pageContext.request.requestURL}"/>
</c:url>">
<bean:message key="headermenu.jsp.arabic"/>
</a>

++++++++++++++ In Struts Config:

<action name="setLocale" type="util.SetLocaleAction" validate="false" scope="request" path="/setLocale" />

Re: Localisation

Posted by James <Ja...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Localisation

Posted by Konstantina Stamopoulou <st...@intracom.gr>.

> You could set a group of forwards up, based on the locale ie
>
> <forward name="this_en" path="/jsp_pages/out_en-jsp" redirect="true"/>
> <forward name="this_de" path="/jsp_pages/out_de-jsp" redirect="true"/>
> <forward name="this_ko" path="/jsp_pages/out_ko-jsp" redirect="true"/>
>within <action/>

Does this mean  that someone has to implement a different .jsp for each
language? I need to implement something similar and I'm not sure that I
understand the answer. Don't you use the <bean:message> to display text in
different languages? I'm I missing something here?
James what is exactly the solution you are going to follow?

> Cheers
>
> Simon

Thank you in advance
Konstantina

Re: Localisation

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
This assumes that you want to write a new page for each locale.  Is that
true?  Why not use messages?

At 12:28 PM 3/5/03 +0100, you wrote:
>You could set a group of forwards up, based on the locale ie
>
><forward name="this_en" path="/jsp_pages/out_en-jsp" redirect="true"/>
><forward name="this_de" path="/jsp_pages/out_de-jsp" redirect="true"/>
><forward name="this_ko" path="/jsp_pages/out_ko-jsp" redirect="true"/>
>
>within <action/>
>
>And you can then dynamically create the name from the selected action by the
>client.
>
>Or, better still, you could create a generic jsp, which calls all text by
>tagged resources, and have a collection of resources for that page with all
>the differing languages in. Allowing for easier updating of the page and
>page content.
>
>I use xslt, so I can't give you a jsp example, but there are some examples
>of this in Programming Jakata Strus and a few on the web.
>
>Cheers
>
>Simon

LEGAL NOTICE

you