Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Gence Soysal <Ge...@syntegra.com> on 2003/08/18 22:27:37 UTC

datasourcefactory issue

Hi all,
we've been using Jetspeed to run a production-level portal site and recently have been getting
the following error occurring randomly (about once or twice a day). The resolution is to restart
Tomcat:

Horrible Exception: org.apache.jetspeed.services.security.LoginException: Failed to get anonymous user: org.apache.jetspeed.services.security.UserException: Failed to retrieve user 'anon': Connection object was null. This could be due to a misconfiguration of the DataSourceFactory. Check the logs and Torque.properties to better determine the cause.
at org.apache.jetspeed.services.security.turbine.TurbineAuthentication.getAnonymousUser(TurbineAuthentication.java:222)

I've read on the web that this can occur with an improperly configured Torque.properties file.
However, I've followed every advice on how to configure that file, and the problem is not
automatically reproducable. Has anyone else experienced this and have any idea why it might
be occurring long after successfully running for an entire day?

Cheers,

Gence

Re: datasourcefactory issue

Posted by Michael Rothrock <mi...@michaelrothrock.com>.
I have a similar issue running jetspeed/tomcat/postgresql/linux.  The error
appears to result from too many connections to the db, and is solved by
restarting tomcat.  This indicates (to me, anyway) that something in
jetspeed is grabbing but not releasing db connections.

I haven't had time to look into it, so I wasn't sure if it was my code or a
bug somewhere else.  In the meantime, the easy fix is a cron job that
restarts it nightly ;) .

-- Michael

Posted by Michael Rothrock <mi...@michaelrothrock.com>.