Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Paul Duffy <pa...@cisco.com> on 2007/08/02 01:23:52 UTC

Looking for high speed binary appender?

Folks,

My team is looking at log4j as a next generation logging option, but we
have a specific customer need to do high volume logging which a text
based system may not support.  Is anyone aware of a high speed binary
logging capability that builds upon the log4j infrastructure (or otherwise?

Cheers

Re: Looking for high speed binary appender?

Posted by James Stauffer <st...@gmail.com>.
What is your destination?  Files, database, JMS queue?  Do you have
any idea how much logging you will be doing?

James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/

RE: [BULK] Re: Looking for high speed binary appender?

Posted by Philip Denno <pd...@tsi.bc.ca>.
My current project may be of interest to you.

I have a Java App which runs about 600 threads logging to files using
the RollingFileAppender.

Now this app under heavy load writes out about 600 MB of logging every 4
hours when configured at DEBUG. This app is deployed on a four - core
dual processor running Linux. Under these conditions the app peaks at a
CPU usage of about 10%.

When I change the level to WARN I hardly see any change in the CPU
profile, so logging forms a very small percentage of the load.

What is the projected amount of logging that you will be doing. Unless
you are writing GB's every hour I think log4j should be able to handle
it.

Cheers,
Philip.

Posted by Paul Duffy <pa...@cisco.com>.