Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by John Wubbel <jw...@pediatricnetwork.com> on 2002/09/17 19:46:02 UTC

Applet within Velocity Portlet & POST questions.

Hello,

While I am not sure this is the best implementation, we have a
Velocity portlet with an Applet we are starting from the template. In

the applet we have done the usual coding to facilitate a POST method
in order to send some user input back to the server whereby our
ultimate action is to save it to the database. Consequently, we have
been trying to simulate the eventSubmit_doUpdate as supported by the
Turbine by rolling the action, name, value pairs into the stream.

The applet runs fine, the jetspeed.log looks normal in terms of
buildNormalContext code path using Log.debug statements. When we do
the actual POST we get back the response that we can read within the
applet and dump it to the Java Console. For now we are not
customizing the response in any way. However, the output to the
jetspeed.log file is showing that our doUpdate is not executing our
action. It is the same output that we saw when the portlet was
instanciated. It is doing a buildNormalContext.

Thus, I am wondering if the reason for this is that I am not doing a
POST to the same session. Perhaps I have to pass a cookie to the
applet when it is invoked. If this is true, I would appreciate any
comments regarding how to do this via <param name="" value="" >. Once

we get the parameter in the applet for the cookie, how is it put into

the POST? Is it a setRequestProperty call? Also, if I am going about
this wrongly, I would like to hear other ideas for incorporating an
applet as a portlet. Thanks ever so much for the help.

Sincerely,
John Wubbel
John Wubbel Consulting