Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Murli Varadachari <mv...@facebook.com> on 2009/03/08 08:25:58 UTC

Commit failures when adding new directories/files

I am trying to check in a bunch of new stuff and the checkin fails with this error:
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: '/myworkdir/projectX/sharescraper/if' is not under version control and is not part of the commit, yet its child '/myworkdir/projectX/sharescraper/if/TARGETS' is part of the commit

Which seems strange because svn st shows it's added:
svn st
A      sharescraper/if
A      sharescraper/if/sharescraper.thrift
A      sharescraper/if/TARGETS

And I can't re-add it:
svn add sharescraper/if
svn: warning: 'sharescraper/if' is already under version control

Tried doing a revert and re-add, but no luck.

Any  ideas? I seem to seen this type of problems mentioned here before.

Cheers
murli

Re: Commit failures when adding new directories/files

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Murli Varadachari
<mv...@facebook.com> wrote:

> I am trying to check in a bunch of new stuff and the checkin fails with this
> error:
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: '/myworkdir/projectX/sharescraper/if' is not under version control and
> is not part of the commit, yet its child
> '/myworkdir/projectX/sharescraper/if/TARGETS' is part of the commit
>

> Which seems strange because svn st shows it’s added:
> svn st
> A      sharescraper/if
> A      sharescraper/if/sharescraper.thrift
> A      sharescraper/if/TARGETS

Yes, it would not even be possible to add something without its parent
being added or versioned.

> And I can’t re-add it:
> svn add sharescraper/if
> svn: warning: 'sharescraper/if' is already under version control
>
> Tried doing a revert and re-add, but no luck.
>

> Any  ideas? I seem to seen this type of problems mentioned here before.

What does your commit command look like?  Even though the parent
folder is added, you still have to include it in the commit targets.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Commit failures when adding new directories/files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 8, 2009, at 11:54, Murli Varadachari wrote:

> On 3/8/09 8:34 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> don't use file:/// access method unless you are the only person
>> using this repository
>
> Curious about your comment on “file:///” protocol [ even though we
> don’t use it here ] — what is the problem with that?

file:/// access is intended for testing purposes or can be used if
you're just a single developer working with a local repository. But
if you have multiple developers and are thus accessing a repository
on a remote computer, you need to set up either svnserve or apache to
act as a Subversion server.

Re: Commit failures when adding new directories/files

Posted by Murli Varadachari <mv...@facebook.com>.
My environment ==>>

Subversion 1.5.3 client / . 1.5.3 Server  [ shared storage  on netapps].  OS Linux  2.6.20-21_fc5.fbk29.

Using "svn+ssh".

And yes - I will try with a fresh workspace.

On 3/8/09 8:34 AM, "Ryan Schmidt" <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

On Mar 8, 2009, at 03:25, Murli Varadachari wrote:

> I am trying to check in a bunch of new stuff and the checkin fails
> with this error:
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: '/myworkdir/projectX/sharescraper/if' is not under version
> control and is not part of the commit, yet its child '/myworkdir/
> projectX/sharescraper/if/TARGETS' is part of the commit
>

> Which seems strange because svn st shows it's added:
> svn st
> A      sharescraper/if
> A      sharescraper/if/sharescraper.thrift
> A      sharescraper/if/TARGETS
>
> And I can't re-add it:
> svn add sharescraper/if
> svn: warning: 'sharescraper/if' is already under version control
>
> Tried doing a revert and re-add, but no luck.
>

> Any  ideas? I seem to seen this type of problems mentioned here
> before.

You didn't say what version of Subversion, what OS or what repository
access method you're using, so all I can suggest is make sure your
Subversion and your OS are up to date (current version of Subversion
is 1.5.6), don't use file:/// access method unless you are the only
person using this repository, and try checking out a new working copy
and doing it there; sometimes working copies get messed up.

Re: Commit failures when adding new directories/files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.